TALLAHASSEE -- Lobbying the Legislature is big business. During the first three months of the year, companies, local governments and other clients paid an estimated $37.4 million to lobbying firms for legislative work, according to state numbers.
Lobbying firms are required to file quarterly reports that offer a picture of how much they get paid. The numbers aren’t exact because firms largely report their income in ranges, though specific information is available about payments of $50,000 or more.
Firms faced a deadline this month to file reports about their compensation from January through March, a period that included most of the first half of the annual legislative session. Here are the firms that pulled in the most money for legislative lobbying during the quarter and a list of large payments from clients:
FIRMS REPORTING COMPENSATION OF $1 MILLION OR MORE:
· Ballard Partners
· Capital City Consulting LLC
· GrayRobinson PA
· Greenberg Traurig PA
· Ronald L. Book PA
· Rubin, Turnbull & Associates
· Southern Strategy Group
FIRMS REPORTING COMPENSATION OF $500,000 TO $999,999:
· Becker & Poliakoff PA
· Corcoran & Johnston
· Floridian Partners LLC
· Johnson & Blanton
· Metz Husband & Daughton PA
· Smith Bryan & Myers Inc.
· The Advocacy Group at Cardenas Partners LLC
· The Mayernick Group LLC
FIRMS REPORTING COMPENSATION OF $250,000 TO $499,999:
· Anfield Consulting
· Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
· Colodny Fass
· Dean Mead
· Gunster Yoakley & Stewart PA
· Heffley & Associates
· Holland & Knight LLP
· Hopping Green & Sams PA
· Larry J. Overton & Associates Inc.
· McGuireWoods Consulting LLC
· Peebles, Smith & Matthews, Inc.
· Pittman Law Group PL
· Ramba Consulting Group LLC
· RutledgeEcenia PA
· The Fiorentino Group
· The Legis Group
PAYMENTS OF $50,000 OR MORE TO LOBBYING FIRMS:
· Amscot Financial, Inc.: $51,000 paid to Metz Husband & Daughton PA.
· AshBritt: $135,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· Auto Tag Management Group: $89,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· Automated Healthcare Solutions: $50,000 paid to Ballard Partners.
· Charter Schools USA: $65,000 paid to Tripp Scott PA.
· Citizens for Responsible Pet Ownership: $75,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· FCCI Insurance Group: $50,000 paid to Leath Consulting.
· Florida Municipal Broadband Alliance: $60,000 paid to Peebles, Smith & Matthews, Inc.
· Fontainebleau Florida Hotel, LLC: $63,000 paid to Corcoran & Johnston.
· HCA Healthcare: $56,000 paid to Rubin, Turnbull & Associates.
· K.A.S. & Associates, Inc.: $200,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· Miami Project/Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis: $55,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· MorseLife: $50,000 paid to Floridian Partners LLC.
· Performance Title Services: $130,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· Polaris: $60,000 paid to Southern Strategy Group.
· Seminole Tribe of Florida: $55,000 paid to Greenberg Traurig PA.
· Shands Teaching Hospital and Clinics, Inc.: $84,000 paid to Ballard Partners.
· Small County Coalition: $165,000 paid to Robert P. Jones & Associates.
· State Farm Florida Insurance Co: $50,000 paid to Tripp Scott PA.
· Sunfest Herbs LLC: $50,000 paid to Ballard Partners.
· The SEED Foundation, Inc.: $61,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· The Vestcor Companies, Inc.: $69,000 paid to Southern Strategy Group.
· Title Clerk Consulting Company, LLC: $160,000 paid to Ronald L. Book PA.
· U.S. Stem Cell, Inc.: $90,000 paid to Rubin, Turnbull & Associates.
SOURCE: Florida lobbyist registration and compensation website.