2. /

August execution set for Florida killer who targeted gay men

Gov. DeSantis signs his second death warrant.
This is a still pulled from b-roll provided by the Florida Department of Corrections of two officers walking down death row at The Union Correctional Institution near Raiford.
Published Jun. 12
Updated Jun. 12

A convicted killer in Florida who authorities say targeted gay men is scheduled to be executed later this summer.

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a death warrant Tuesday for 57-year-old Gary Ray Bowles. The execution is set for Aug. 22 at Florida State Prison.

Related: Tampa serial killer Bobby Joe Long is executed in silence

Records show Bowles was convicted of three murders and sentenced to death for the 1994 slaying of Walter Hinton. Authorities say Bowles agreed to help Hinton move items from Georgia to Hinton’s Jacksonville home in November 1994. While staying with Hinton, Bowles dropped a concrete block on the other man’s head and then strangled him. Police say Bowles confessed to the killing after his arrest and professed hatred for homosexuals. Investigators say Bowles also admitted to killing five other men across Florida, Georgia and Maryland.