1. News
  2. /
  4. /

On Mike Pence’s new press secretary and her bizarre Florida connection

Vice President Mike Pence reacts during an immigration and naturalization ceremony in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House grounds, Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) [ALEX BRANDON | AP]
Published Sep. 21
Updated Sep. 21

If college is a training ground for the real world, an interesting case study is that of Katie Waldman — the University of Florida alumna named this week as Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary.

Political journalists were quick to point out that Waldman, 27, was a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, who had defended the agency’s divisive immigrant family separation policy. Some added that she was apparently dating Stephen Miller, a key adviser to President Donald Trump and a main proponent of the border wall.

Publications also noted the inevitable Florida connection. More than seven years ago, Waldman was in student government at the University of Florida when she became involved in an incident that would help define her time there.

It started with the publication of the Feb. 20, 2012 edition of the university’s independent student-run newspaper, The Independent Florida Alligator. It included an article reporting then-football coach Will Muschamp had endorsed a Waldman rival, a walk-on player who was running for student body vice president. Waldman was one of two students spotted discarding copies of that day’s Alligator.

I was a freshman journalism major then, trying to get my foot in the door at the Alligator, which is widely known as the place to be if you’re trying to work in traditional media. It was shocking to me at the time, but, looking back, it’s not that surprising in the context of UF’s student government.

Campus politics in Gainesville have long been controlled by a powerful few with the help of a voting bloc made up of social sororities and fraternities. Much of the power-brokering occurs in a highly selective organization called Florida Blue Key that includes a long list of former governors, senators, football stars and current VIPs, such as Sen. Marco Rubio, Attorney General Ashley Moody and Commissioner of Agriculture Nikki Fried.

The ruling party has taken on many names over the years. It was once “Gator,” then “Unite” during the paper-tossing scandal, then rebranded “Swamp” when I was editor-in-chief of the newspaper. But the tactics have stayed largely the same.

A 2013 email from a Swamp party senator asked sorority and fraternity representatives to collect “I voted” stickers from members and donate $250 to the party. In the last line, she asked them to delete the email after reading it, adding that it was “sketchy, but do it.” The student was appointed a student senator the next month.

Five years earlier, more leaked emails surfaced instructing Gator Party senators on how to keep members of the opposing party off certain committees.

And then there was Feb. 20, 2012. Waldman was seen with fellow student Jason Tiemeier when he tossed copies of the Alligator in the garbage. Waldman, a Unite student senator at the time, denied that she threw away any papers and said she advised Tiemeier against it. At the same senate meeting she offered the denial, she was named chair of the senate’s appropriations committee.

Tiemeier, also a Unite senator at the time, first denied the allegations then penned an apology letter in the Alligator, naming Waldman as his accomplice.

“When Katie Waldman and I were walking around campus, I let my sense of competition get in the way of the integrity and everything I believe I have always striven for in my time at UF," he wrote.

Tiemeier, who now works as a transaction tax associate for Ernst & Young in New York City, declined to comment Friday. Waldman couldn’t be reached for comment.

Waldman’s appointment sparked chatter among my UF friends, Alligator alums and not. On Facebook, my former Alligator colleague Meredith Bauer, who worked as metro editor during the newspaper-tossing scandal, nailed why the actions of student politicians matter.

“This is the problem with letting morally wrong (student government) election tactics go unpunished,” Bauer, 29, wrote. “Everyone knows it’s a staging ground for state and federal politics.”

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article originally contained an incorrect last name for Meredith Bauer.

Kathryn Varn is a former editor-in-chief of The Independent Florida Alligator and graduated from the University of Florida in 2015.

1. Protesters gathered outside the federal courthouse in Tallahassee on Monday, Oct. 7, 2019, while a federal judge heard arguments for an against the the Legislature's bill implementing Amendment 4. LAWRENCE MOWER  |  Lawrence Mower
    It’s unclear how state and county officials plan on complying with the judge’s order, however. The “poll tax” issued wasn’t addressed, either.
  2. The Florida Capitol. [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times] SCOTT KEELER  |  Tampa Bay Times
    The job entails being a part-time lobbyist, part-time expert on the Florida Sunshine Law.
  3. Florida K-12 Chancellor Jacob Oliva presents the state's second draft of academic standards revisions during an Oct. 17, 2017, session at Jefferson High School in Tampa. Gov. Ron DeSantis called for the effort in an executive order to remove the Common Core from Florida schools. JEFFREY SOLOCHEK  |  Times staff
    ‘Our third draft will look different from our second,’ the chancellor explains.
  4. Igor Fruman, hugs Florida Governor elect Ron DeSantis, right, as Lev Parnas looks on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018 in Orlando at the watch party for DeSantis. Fruman and Parnas were arrested last week on campaign finance violations. CHRIS URSO  |  Times
    Florida’s governor has shrugged off past donor controversies. This time, there were photos. Now it’s not going away.
  5. The sun sets over a slab which once served as a foundation for a home on Mexico Beach in May. DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD  |  Tampa Bay Times
    Area leaders fear lower population numbers will lead to reduced federal funding and political representation.
  6. Senador de Florida, Rick Scott.  Foto: AP
    “The FBI has failed to give me or these families an acceptable answer, but I’m not going to allow that,” Scott said, adding that the FBI didn’t share pertinent information on shootings at Pulse, the...
  7. Courtney Wild, 30, was a victim of serial sexual offender Jeffrey Epstein beginning at the age of 14. Epstein paid Wild, and many other underage girls, to give him massages, often having them undress and perform sexual acts. Epstein also used the girls as recruiters, paying them to bring him other underage girls. Courtesy of Royal Caribbean
    Courtney Wild’s relentless quest for justice has led to a bipartisan push for sweeping reforms.
  8. Scott Israel, former Broward County Sheriff speaks during a news conference on Sept. 25, in Davie. A Florida Senate official is recommending that the sheriff, suspended over his handling of shootings at a Parkland high school and the Fort Lauderdale airport, should be reinstated. BRYNN ANDERSON  |  AP
    Naples lawyer Dudley Goodlette was threatened shortly after he made his recommendation last month.
  9. Rep. Jamie Grant, R- Tampa and Senator Jeff Brandes, R- St. Petersburg listen to Amendment 4 debate in the Florida Senate on Thursday. [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times] SCOTT KEELER  |  Tampa Bay Times
    “I think some of the points of the judge were well-made," Sen. Jeff Brandes said.
  10. Tiffany Carr — shown during a 2004 visit to a Hollywood nail salon, where she spoke on domestic violence — did not respond this past week to requests from the Miami Herald to address her $761,560 annual salary. She is head of the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence. [Bob Eighmie Miami Herald file photo]
    The Florida Department of Children and Families started a review of a domestic violence nonprofit’s finances last summer after it was reported that its CEO Tiffany Carr was paid $761,000. The state...