President Donald Trump and Democratic hopeful Michael Bloomberg are, in some ways, eerily similar. Both are New York City natives. Both are billionaires. Both are seeking the presidency in 2020.
Most notably for this story, though: Both have a history of controversial comments.
While the quantity of Bloomberg’s problematic statements pales in comparison to Trump’s lexicon, the former NYC mayor’s remarks about women, minorities and crime have circulated heavily ahead of tonight’s Democratic debate.
Here is a short-list of those comments by Bloomberg, mixed in with quotes from Trump. Dead giveaways, such as “grab her by the ...” will be excluded from the quiz, along with other viral quotes that obviously come from Trump. An example of this would be Trump’s famous claim that he could shoot somebody in the middle of New York’s Fifth Avenue and not lose a single vote.
(Answers are at the bottom of the page)
1. A reference to transgender people as ‘it’ and as ‘some guy in a dress.’ (2019)
“If your conversation during a presidential election is about some guy wearing a dress and whether he, she, or it can go to the locker room with their daughter, that’s not a winning formula for most people.”
2. A statement that suggests sexual assault is inevitable in a military that has men and women. (2013)
“26,000 unreported sexual assaults in the military and only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men and women together?”
3. A statement that global warming is a hoax created by the Chinese. (2012)
“The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”
4. A statement on women and what they should do to come off as intelligent. (1990)
“If women wanted to be appreciated for their brains, they’d go to the library instead of to Bloomingdale’s.”
5. A statement on working mothers being a ‘dangerous thing.’ (1994)
“I think that putting a wife to work is a very dangerous thing. …I don’t want to sound too much like a chauvinist, but when I come home and dinner’s not ready, I’ll go through the roof, okay?”
6. A statement that suggests minorities should be specifically targeted for violent crime. (2015)
“95% of your murders — murderers and murder victims — fit one M.O. You can just take the description, Xerox it, and pass it out to all the cops.”
7. On who has helped change New York City for the better. (2013)
“If there is anybody who has changed this city, it is Donald Trump.”
8. A statement that portrayed farming as a simple job in comparison to the information industry. (2016)
“You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn. You could learn that. [For the information industry], you have to have a different skill set, you have to have a lot more gray matter.”
9. A targeted statement against a woman anchor on cable television. (2015)
“She gets out and she starts asking me all sorts of ridiculous questions. You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever. In my opinion, she was off base.”
10. On the role of women in the workplace after new technology was being introduced. (1990)
“[They] will do everything, including give you [oral sex]. I guess that puts a lot of you girls out of business.
1. Michael Bloomberg, in 2019.
2. Donald Trump, during a tweet in 2013.
3. Donald Trump, during a tweet in 2012.
4. Michael Bloomberg, in a book from an employee in the 1990′s.
5. Donald Trump, in 1994.
6. Michael Bloomberg, on stop and frisk policing, in 2015.
7. Michael Bloomberg, in 2013.
8. Michael Bloomberg, in 2016.
9. Donald Trump, in 2015.
10. Michael Bloomberg, in a book from an employee the 1990′s.