Ever wondered how Florida you really are? We’re here to give you a better idea.
This week, a graphic asking “How Southern are you?” went viral on social media, allowing people to rate themselves based on how many Southern foods they had tried, like gumbo, chicken fried steak and butter beans.
So we decided to put together our own informal list of what it takes to be a Floridian. We didn’t stop at just food. You’ll find some friendly pests and weather phenomenons on here as well.
If you find yourself nodding your head and relating to most of the items on this list, rest assured, you’re definitely a Floridian.
1. You’ve lived through a Florida rainstorm and you know that things will blow over if you wait it out about...10 minutes.
2. You can immediately identify a snowbird by their out-of-state license plates and inability to drive.
3. In the summer, you start sweating the second you leave your house. (Sometimes even before the summer.)
4. But once it hits a cool 70 degrees, you’ll bust out the parka.
5. You’ve (seriously) asked the question: “Have you ever seen snow?”
6. You’ve worn a Hawaiian shirt before—unironically.
7. You’ve enjoyed some fresh-squeezed orange juice. You know citrus is an essential element of living in Florida.
8. Key lime pie: We love it, but it’s not actually green. And we know the difference between a Key lime and a regular lime.
9. You have a favorite spot to get a Cuban—and probably a second-favorite spot. And you have an opinion on the Tampa v. Miami Cuban sandwich war. (Hint: There is only one right opinion. It’s Tampa.)
10. You know every good morning starts with café con leche and pastelitos.
11. The first time you find a giant, flying cockroach, you scream and just hope it will go away. But by the 50th time, you’re desensitized. You know living in Florida means cockroaches.
12. Your car has been covered by swarming lovebugs far too many times.
13. You’ve spotted a manatee, or sea cow, in the water and immediately told all of your friends.
14. Waking up to an alligator in your home. Or really any interaction with an alligator.
15. You’ve anxiously shared hurricane memes on Facebook.
16. You’ve enjoyed a conch fritter or any type of fried seafood.
17. You’ve taken your cocktail by the water. What is Florida if not the country’s tiki bar?
18. Publix is a way of life. We live for their subs and we love their free samples at the deli counter (though they’ve now discontinued that practice in some stores).
19. You know Cuban bread has to be made with palm leaf strips.
20. You probably have an annual pass to Disney World or Universal Studios. Maybe both?
21. You’ve waited in line at Disney to enjoy that delicious snack, the Dole Whip.
22. You probably have an orange or lemon tree in your backyard.
23. You’ve tasted a Plant City strawberry.
24. You’ve probably lost one friend or family member to this classic rivalry: University of Florida vs. Florida State University.
25. Ever had a seagull steal your lunch? Yeah, us, too.
26. Some rooms mystify you. A basement? What’s that?
27. Other rooms don’t mystify you at all. We love a good Florida room.
So how many of these Florida things have you experienced?
Methodology: If you’re wondering how this list was compiled, we’re happy to tell you. We asked our newsroom. But we know there must be quintessential Florida items that we missed. Feel free to let us know.
Times staff writer Allison Graves contributed to this report.