1. Taste of Science: Once again, the Tampa Bay science community aims to make the rest of us more literate by holding talks on galaxies or red tide in pubs and coffee shops on both sides of the bay. See the full lineup at the websites tasteofscience.org/stpete or tasteofscience.org/tampa. There’s a free event on Sunday, when a beach cleanup takes place along the south side of Gandy Beach between Tampa and St. Petersburg starting at 9:30 a.m., followed by talks at 10:30 from three scientists who will speak on oil spills, harmful algae blooms in Tampa Bay and other coastal hazards. $5 to reserve a spot. 7 p.m. nightly through Sunday.
2. Painting in the Park: The north lawn of the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg will be filled with kid-friendly activities making works of art. There will be 13 engaging art stations using watercolors, metallic markers, yarn and finger paint to create make-and-take paintings. Food and drinks available for purchase. Free. Noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. 255 Beach Drive NE, St. Petersburg. (727) 896-2667. mfastpete.org.
3. Blast Friday: The Greg Billings Band returns to this monthly block party in downtown Clearwater, and the Superstars featuring Ronnie Dee make their debut. One of the most prominent voices in Tampa since the legendary days of Stranger, Greg Billings has become the quintessential frontman. The Superstars are a funk, horns and blues band with an eclectic group of 14 musicians. Food trucks and vendors will be on hand. Bring your lawn chairs. Free. 5:30 p.m. Friday. 600 block of Cleveland Street. rutheckerdhall.com/blastfriday.
4. Friday Concerts in the Park: This biweekly series of free concerts at a variety of Tampa parks this week brings the high-energy, 10-piece Late Night Brass band. Free. 7 p.m. Friday. Water Works Park, 1710 N Highland Ave. (813) 276-8250.
5. Springfest Garden Art and Faerie Festival: One of the more adorable annual festivals brings a flurry of pixies and fairies to Gulfport’s Clymer Park with a plant sale and costume contests. There’s also a faerie house contest, maypole dances, pixie dusting, face painting, bubble blowing, roaming gypsies and live music. Free. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 5501 27th Ave. S. (727) 893-1000.