1. Free Comic Book Day: One of the most beloved pop-culture holidays has been going on since 2002 to encourage longtime fans and curious newcomers to visit their local "mom and pop" comic shop. That's where they will find more than 50 titles on Saturday, including superhero stories like Marvel's Avengers and Spider-Man, as well as kiddie titles like Minecraft and The Incredibles. And stores like Yancy Street Comics, 13944 W Hillsborough Ave. in Tampa, and Emerald City, 4902 113th Ave. N in Clearwater, will also have raffles, giveaways and appearances by authors, artists and cosplayers. Find a participating comic shop at freecomicbookday.com.
2. Free Tuesday at Glazer Museum: The hands-on museum and the Children's Board of Hillsborough County join for this event. Free. Noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday. 110 W Gasparilla Plaza, Tampa. (813) 443-3861. glazermuseum.org.
3. Preserve the 'Burg Movies in the Park: Once again, every Thursday in May brings a good excuse to bring the family or a date to the lovely waterfront Straub Park in downtown St. Petersburg to lay out a picnic, hear some live music and see a free movie on a jumbo screen. Buy food from local vendors or pack your own, and there is an on-site bicycle valet. Free, but donations are appreciated. This year's lineup brings Raiders of the Lost Ark (Thursday); Groundhog Day (May 9); Ghost (May 16); La La Land (May 23); and The Lorax (May 30). Music starts at 7 p.m. and movies are at dusk. Fifth Avenue NE and Bayshore Drive, St. Petersburg.
4. Yom HaShoah: To mark Holocaust Remembrance Day, there will free admission Thursday at the Florida Holocaust Museum in St. Petersburg. And on Friday, Congregation Ohr Chadash in Clearwater will unveil an original sculpture, Arbeit Macht Frei, by David Barlow, to reflect his experience of visiting the Dachau concentration camp. Reception at 7:25 p.m. Friday. 3190 Gulf-to-Bay Blvd., Clearwater. The Holocaust Museum, 55 Fifth St. S, St. Petersburg, will have short memorial services and Holocaust survivor talks at noon and 2 p.m., with a memorial service at 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
5. Native Plant Walk: Join a member of the Suncoast Native Plant Society for a guided tour to learn about the native plants and plant communities of Lettuce Lake Park. $2 per car to enter the park. 9 a.m. Saturday. 6920 E Fletcher Ave., Tampa. (813) 621-7015.