Two historic movie houses, Tampa Theatre and the recently renamed Nancy and David Bilheimer Capitol Theatre in Clearwater, have organized a summer film series of family and date-night favorites.
“For more than a quarter of a century, the community has flocked to Tampa Theatre on hot Sunday afternoons to enjoy summer classics as they were meant to be seen: on the big screen, surrounded by friends, with a bag of fresh popcorn and a cold drink in hand,” the downtown Tampa theater’s announcement said.
Tampa Theatre noted that its series, which opens Sunday, features a collection of silent comedy shorts from the 1920s and earlier, accompanied by live music from its original “Mighty Wurlitzer” organ. Other highlights include the runner-up fan favorite pick Jaws on June 16 and Grease in a sing-along format on July 7.
The seasonal movie series at the Bilheimer Capitol Theatre begins June 16 with family-friendly Pixar hit The Incredibles. There are also flicks for date night, with deals on popcorn, other perks and trivia for some evenings.
Here are the films headed to each theater:
$10, $7 members. 3 p.m. Sundays. 711 N Franklin St. (813) 274-8286. tampatheatre.org.
•Sunday: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). A short discussion and audience Q&A with retired University of South Florida film professor Harriet Deer follows.
• June 9: Some Like It Hot (1959), NR
• June 16: Jaws (1975), PG
• June 23: Cool Hand Luke (1967), PG
• June 30: Dial M for Murder (1954), PG
• July 7: Grease (1978), PG-13
• July 14: All That Jazz (1979), R
• July 21: Jurassic Park (1993), PG-13
• July 28: The Wizard of Oz (1939), PG
• Aug. 4: The Philadelphia Story (1940), NR
• Aug. 11: 9 to 5 (1980), PG
• Aug. 18: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), R
• Aug. 25: The Silent Clowns. Nationally renowned theater organist Steven Ball travels from St. Louis to play for this collection of short comedies from Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd and Laurel and Hardy.
• Aug. 31 and Sept. 1: Casablanca (1942), PG
Bilheimer Capitol Theatre
$5, $9 with unlimited fountain drinks and popcorn. The $30 family four-pack includes four tickets, unlimited drinks and popcorn. Call the box office for packages. 405 Cleveland St., Clearwater. (727) 791-7400. rutheckerdhall.com/bilheimer-capitol-theatre.
• June 16: The Incredibles (2004), PG
• June 26: Mean Girls (2004), PG-13
• June 30: Gone with the Wind (1939), G
• July 12: Scream (1996), R
• July 14: The Little Mermaid (1989), G
• July 26: Paranormal Activity (2007), R
• Aug. 4: Moana (2016), PG
• Aug. 9: The Matrix (1999), R
• Aug. 11: A Star is Born (1976), R
• Sept. 6: Inglorious Basterds (2009), R