Area churches are offering children an opportunity to attend day camps, overnight camps and week-long camps this summer.
• "Fun Camp" starts next week at First United Methodist Church of Spring Hill. The camp is open from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays (except July 4) for children age 4 through fifth grade from June 3 through August 9.
Indoor and outdoor activities include arts and crafts such as tie dye and painting, play time, chapel, movies, singing and special guests.
"Children are in age groups with a minimum of two teachers per group," said Pat Wolfarth, director. "We have a very good security team, and all doors are locked when children are in rooms."
The cost is $75 first child, $70 second child, $65 each additional child. Drop in rates are $25 daily, and there is a $25 registration fee. Register at funcamp.life or email email@example.com or call (352) 683-2600, Ext. 3. The church is at 9344 Spring Hill Drive.
• Faith Evangelical Presbyterian Church will offer "Secret Agent Camp" to children in kindergarten through completed fifth grade from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 24 to 28. Kids will sing Bible songs, memorize scriptures and learn Bible lessons through teaching and drama adventures along with snack time, lunch time, movies, a dress-up day and a water day. There will be indoor and outdoor games and team competitions each day and a field trip one day that week.
The cost is $60 for one camper, $110 for two, $150 for three and $180 for four. Family discounts and scholarships are available. Campers receive a camp shirt, a take-home bag of goodies at the end of the week and two snacks each day. Campers bring their own lunch.
According to director John Cleveland, all adult volunteers are church members who have been background checked. Teen volunteers are members of the church's Summer Missions Program and have gone through eight weeks of training. An adult camp nurse is available all day.
The church is at 200 Mount Fair Ave. in Brooksville. Register at faithepc.net/SummerCamp/
• First Baptist Church of Brooksville will be taking kids to Word of Life Camp in Hudson. Junior Week, for kids 6 to 12, will be June 30 to July 5 and costs $335. Teen Week, for ages 12 to 18, will be June 23 through June 29 and costs $395.
The overnight camp, which has been in operation since 1947, provides family-style meals and air-conditioned cabins for the week, along with Bible lessons and activities like swimming, paintball, rock wall climbing, tubing, arts and crafts, rope courses, music, speakers and games.
To register to go with the church, call Greg Shaw at (352) 573-8929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Kids also can sign up to go independently. Visit wol.org/youth-camps/florida-youth-camps/ for more information.
• Lakewood Retreat Summer Camp 2019, "Super Hero," will run July 7-12 for elementary campers, ages 5-10, and for middle school campers, ages 11-14. The cost is $365, with a $20 early registration discount valid until May 31, and includes all overnight lodging, meals and activities.
The fun includes swimming, canoeing, campfires, hayrides, nature trails, Snak Shak, indoor and outdoor games, open fire kettle popcorn, "Glide-Ride" and archery instruction. Field games include "Save the Whales" and "Destiny Island." There are worship times and Impact services with dynamic teaching from the Bible.
There is a ratio of one staff member (who will have passed a thorough background check) for every two campers. Nursing staff, assistants and lifeguards will ensure campers' health and safety. Fill out an online registration form and get more information at lakewoodretreat.org. Call (352) 796-4097 to make a $30 deposit or mail to Lakewood Retreat Summer Camp, 25458 Dan Brown Hill Road, Brooksville, FL 34602.
• Great Life Church, 14494 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill, will offer "Camp Blizzard" to children in kindergarten through fifth grade from 9 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. from July 15-19.
There will be a week full of snow-themed activities and lessons led by more than 15 staff members and volunteers who have gone through an approval process for the church's Kids Ministry, which requires a full background check and first aid training. Inflatables, praise and music, outdoor games, crafts, plus games and prizes will be part of the fun. Children will receive one meal and two snacks per day, a Camp Blizzard T-shirt and a Kids Life draw-string backpack.
Additional information and early bird registration, with discounts for siblings, is available until June 15 for $49 at greatlifechurch.com/; later registration costs $59.