Property Appraiser’s Office closed July 26
The Hernando County Property Appraiser’s Offices will be closed from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 26 for training.
The offices are on the third floor of Brooksville City Hall, 201 Howell Ave., Brooksville; and at the Westside Government Center, 7525 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. For information, call (352) 754-4190.
Landscaping classes offered
The Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program in Hernando County will offer the following programs and classes:
• Rain Barrel Workshop, 10:30 a.m. July 31, Hernando County Utilities, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Provided by coordinator Lily Browning. The cost for the rain barrel is $50, payable to the Utilities Department. Preregistration and prepayment is required; checks only will be accepted. Those who attend and install the 55-gallon rain barrel at their homes will receive a one-time $25 credit on their water bills. Purchase of a rain barrel is not required to take the class, but class participation is required to purchase the rain barrel. The workshop also will be offered at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 10 at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. Payment and preregistration must be received by Aug. 8. For information, call (352) 540-6230.
• How to Have a Critter-Friendly Yard, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 1, at the West Hernando/Staffordene T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. Learn about Florida-Friendly landscaping principle No. 5 — attract wildlife. Presented by Lilly Browning, Florida-Friendly Landscaping program coordinator. The class is free; no registration required.
• Florida-Friendly Landscaping for Kids — Book Reveal and Review, 10 a.m. Aug. 2, Chinsegut Conservation Center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville. Volunteer Master Gardeners Kim Cottrell and Evelyn Davis and the University of Florida have created a Florida-friendly landscaping book for children. The class is free; no registration required.
• When Bad Landscapes Happen to Good People, 10 a.m. Aug. 13 at the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 16110 Aviation Loop Drive, Brooksville. Program coordinator Lilly Browning will present this class. Participants will learn about common mistakes made in the central Florida landscape and how to avoid them. The class is free; no registration required.
• How to Become Friends with Florida-Friendly Landscaping, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 28, at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Presented by volunteer Master Gardener Kim Cottrell, who will discuss how to convert a landscape into a low-maintenance, budget-friendly, water-wise oasis. The class is free; no registration necessary.
• Master Gardener Secrets — Revealed, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 28, at Hernando County Utilities, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Presented by volunteer Master Gardeners Sue and Bernie Bathauer. This class is for those who feel like their yards are keeping secrets; learn from the master gardeners who continually try to crack the code. No registration required. The class is free.
Broadway Buddies Show set for Aug. 11
The Brookridge Men’s Club will present Sally Langwah and her Broadway Buddies Show at 7 p.m. Aug. 11 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St. The show pays tribute to some of the most memorable musicals of all time with impressions from Julie Andrews to Liza Minelli.
Tickets are $10. Call Tom DiGregorio at (352) 610-9865, Ken Duncan at (352) 556-2471 or Gene Cowell at (352) 596-7140.
Vendors wanted for hospital craft fair
Oak Hill Hospital’s Nursing Caring Practice Council will host a Fall Craft Fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 21 in the North Tower lobby of the hospital, 11375 Cortez Blvd.
Outside vendors and crafters are welcome. The cost is $15 for a 5-foot space, $20 for a six-foot space. The deadline to sign up is Sept. 1. For information or to become a vendor, contact Janine Conti at firstname.lastname@example.org or (352) 597-6397.
Class offered to first-time home buyers
The Hernando County Housing Authority, in partnership with Solita’s House, will provide a free First-Time Homebuyer’s Class from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 17 at the Arc Nature Coast Education Center, 6495 Mariner Blvd.
There is no cost, but registration is required. The class will be offered monthly; additional classes this year are on Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16 and Dec. 14.
Visit solitashouse.wufoo.com/forms/m1m4a6b51cd4osl/ to register. Those having difficulty registering, contact Kim Murphy at email@example.com. For information, contact Terri Beverly at (352) 754-4160, ext. 3 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Phyllis Day at email@example.com or (352) 848-1408. Follow @pdaytimes.