Records through Wednesday
1. Freedom (16-2): Patriots acquitted themselves well in a pair of holiday tournaments, advancing to the finals of the Queen of Palms Invitational in Fort Myers. Still undefeated against local foes.
2. Seffner Christian (16-2): Rebounded from first two losses of the season with a 60-2 win over Bishop McLaughlin on Tuesday. Their biggest local challenge of the season could come Saturday against Academy at the Lakes.
3. Steinbrenner (17-4): Finally healthy, the Warriors rolled to a surprising rout of Riverview on Wednesday. Next week’s game against Freedom will settle the top seed in District 7A-9.
4. Sickles (17-4): Like many area teams, the Gryphons stumbled in out-of-town tournaments but returned to their winning ways after the break. They’re the prohibitive favorites in District 6A-11.
5. Newsome (11-6): Led by junior guard Lauren Boerger, the Wolves have surpassed Plant for District 8A-7 supremacy.
6. Plant (13-5): Panthers pulled off an upset of Steinbrenner at the Jaguar Invite over the holidays and should be favored in their six remaining regular-season games.
7. Riverview (13-6): After winning their first 11, the Sharks have dropped six of eight, including a 26-point blowout at Steinbrenner. Regardless, Riverview remains undefeated in district play.
1. Jesuit (14-1): Tigers’ lone loss was to California team in a national Jesuit tournament
2. Tampa Prep (15-0): Terrapins face daunting challenge Saturday at Berkeley Prep
3. Berkeley Prep (15-1): Buccaneers’ lone loss a 76-72 defeat to reigning 4A runnerup Lake Highland
4. Wharton (14-2): Tampa Prep and Lake Highland are the only teams to defeat Wildcats
5. Sickles (16-2): Seven-game win streak includes Indian Rocks Holiday Tourney title
6. Tampa Catholic (11-5): Thursday’s game vs. Lakeland McKeel was first home contest since Dec. 3
7. Freedom (12-1): Patriots’ 11-game win streak on line Friday at Wiregrass Ranch