Basketball super 7
Records through Wednesday
1. Wiregrass Ranch (21-2, 5-2): The Bulls were bumped to No. 2 in 7A-8 when Steinbrenner added another win, but they’re still the best team on the North Suncoast. Another district tilt looms Friday against Sickles (16-5).
2. Gulf (16-2, 12-0): 5A-8 is talent heavy, but the Bucs stay on top with recent district wins against Anclote and River Ridge. Gulf has four regular-season matchups left, two against district foes.
3. Land O’Lakes (15-2, 11-2): The Gators are seeded second in 5A-8 and take on No. 3 River Ridge on Friday. The Gators beat the Royal Knights by 19 points earlier this season.
4. River Ridge (16-5, 10-3): The Royal Knights’ only county losses this season are to the three teams ranked above them.
5. Nature Coast (17-3, 10-1): The Sharks avenged their early-season loss to Pasco with a decisive 55-40 win, clinching the top seed in 5A-7. NCT’s last regular-season game is Friday against district foe Zephyrhills.
6. Pasco (13-8, 8-2): Brianca Roberts is one to watch in the upcoming postseason. The senior leads the district in scoring, averaging 18.4 points per game.
7. Hernando (13-8, 7-4): With district losses this month to 5A-7 foes Central and Pasco, the Leopards will need to regroup before districts to have a chance to reach regionals.
1. Mitchell (16-1, 5-0): Friday’s 6A-10 matchup against Largo is one of the hottest in the area. Both teams are undefeated in district play, and the Mustangs can take solo control of the top seed after a tie that has spanned weeks.
2. Nature Coast (15-5, 7-0): A tight loss to Citrus marred NCT’s overall win-loss record, but the Sharks remain undefeated in district play to top 5A-7. They’ll need to continue their aggressive style of play to stay ahead of Wesley Chapel next week.
3. Wesley Chapel (15-2, 7-1): Bloomingdale and Nature Coast are the only teams that have bested the Wildcats. They’ll have a chance to avenge December’s 47-43 loss to NCT on Tuesday.
4. Hernando (8-4, 6-2): The Leopards hang steady at No. 3 in 5A-7 after a win against Zephyrhills. With their next three games vs. district foes — NCT, Central and Wesley Chapel — they have a chance to move up.
5. Land O’Lakes (10-8, 7-3): The Gators clung on through a rough first half, then surged ahead in the second during Wednesday’s win over Hudson. They are second in 5A-8 behind Tarpon Springs, with upcoming district matchups against River Ridge and Gulf.
6. Gulf (11-4, 7-4): The Bucs are on a four-game win streak and should add another Friday against Fivay (3-14). They have a leg up on River Ridge (also 7-4), whom they’ve beaten twice, for third in the district.
7. Hudson (10-9, 5-2): The Villages (19-0) has a stranglehold on the top of 4A-6. But the Cobras can cement their spot at No. 2 with a win Friday against Trinity Catholic.