Two tropical cyclones expected to form in next week, forecasters say

National Hurricane Center forecasters give two systems a high chance of forming into tropical cyclones over the coming days.
What the tropics look like on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2020.
What the tropics look like on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2020. [ National Hurricane Center ]
Published Sept. 5, 2020|Updated Sept. 6, 2020

Forecasters expect two batches of disorganized storms in the Atlantic Ocean to organize and form into tropical depressions over the next several days, according to Saturday advisories from the National Hurricane Center.

The first patch of weather is in the eastern Atlantic and was expected to move north-northwest with gradual development. Forecasters on Saturday gave it a 60 percent chance of strengthening into a tropical cyclone by Monday and a 90 percent chance by the middle of the week.

The second blob of weather was located in western Africa but was expected to move offshore Sunday. Forecasters gave it a 20 percent chance of forming into a cyclone by Monday and an 80 percent chance by the middle of the week.

Two other systems forecasters are monitoring seem to be on their last legs. One system was in the east-central Caribbean, where upper-level winds make strengthening unlikely. Forecasters give it only a 10 percent chance of forming into a tropical cyclone.

Tropical Depression Omar, meanwhile, continues to spin at about 10 mph and was located Saturday about 550 miles northeast of Bermuda. It packed maximum sustained winds of 30 mph, but is moving into cooler waters and was not expected to strengthen.

The next storms to strengthen in the Atlantic will be called Paulette, Rene and Sally.

Tampa Bay doesn’t face an imminent threat from any of these storms, but still has a rainy Labor Day weekend in store. There will be a 50 percent chance of rain on Sunday, according to Spectrum Bay News 9, and a 60 percent chance on Monday.

• • •

2020 Tampa Bay Times Hurricane Guide

HURRICANE SEASON IS HERE: Get ready and stay informed at

PREPARE FOR COVID-19 AND THE STORM: The CDC's tips for this pandemic-hurricane season

PREPARE YOUR STUFF: Get your documents and your data ready for a storm

BUILD YOUR KIT: The stuff you’ll need to stay safe — and comfortable — for the storm

PROTECT YOUR PETS: Your pets can’t get ready for a storm. That’s your job

NEED TO KNOW: Click here to find your evacuation zone and shelter

Lessons from Hurricane Michael

What the Panhandle’s top emergency officials learned from Michael

‘We’re not going to give up.’ What a school superintendent learned from Michael

What Tampa Bay school leaders fear most from a storm

Tampa Bay’s top cops fear for those who stay behind