The need for help in Texas has grown as many without power and other resources struggle to find shelter, food and warmth while unprecedented winter storms blanket the Lone Star State in snow and ice.
We’ve gathered a collection of organizations where you can help with money or donations.
- In Austin, the area Urban League has started a #LoveThyNeighborTX campaign to raise money for hotel rooms, food, water, clothing, and other basic needs of the housing insecure communities. Share the page aaul.org/love-your-neighbor and tag the AAUL with the hashtag #LoveThyNeighbor.
- Austin Pets Alive, SPCA of Texas and Operation Kindness is working to keep pets across Texas warm and safe during the freezing conditions. The groups need heating pads, Styrofoam coolers, dog beds, heat lamps and monetary donations.
- Mutual Aid Houston, Austin Mutual Aid, San Antonio Regional Mutual Aid and Feed the People Dallas are all working to provide housing, food and other support systems to those in need.
- Feeding Texas has a comprehensive list of food banks across the state, searchable by zip code at feedingtexas.org/get-help.
- Support local journalists as they respond to the crisis and get the word out by donating to a GoFundMe set up for the Austin American-Statesman, the Dallas Morning News, and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The journalists in Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin are working to provide information to their communities all while being hit by the same threats. This fund is being organized to help the journalists that are struggling with power, housing and protection for themselves while doing their jobs.
- Chef José Andrés’ World Central Kitchen is delivering meals to the hungry; you can donate through the organization’s website at wck.org.
- The American Red Cross is on the ground through its Central and South Texas chapter, and is collecting donations at redcross.org/local/texas/central-and-south-texas.html.
- Austin Street Center is a shelter serving people experiencing homelessness and providing warm clothes, boots and blankets. You can send a monetary donation to austinstreet.org/give.
- Buckner International has opened a warming center at its facility in Dallas. The nonprofit is currently in need of monetary donations to purchase food, blankets, water and other supplies for guests. People can make a donation to the organization at secure.buckner.org.
- People can donate to thewayhomehouston.org/partners/ to give to any of the organizations in The Way Home, a coalition of organizations working to prevent homelessness.