Tampa Bay residents don’t have to travel far to find a bit of paradise. Dr. Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. “Dr. Beach,” recently ranked Dunedin’s Caladesi Island seventh on his top 10 list of best beaches in America.
Leatherman has a Ph.D. in environmental science and serves as the Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University in Miami. He’s ranked Caladesi on his top beach list before.
Here are this year’s rankings:
1. Hapuna Beach, Hawaii Island, Hawaii
2. Cooper’s Beach, Southampton, New York
3. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
4. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
5. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin, Florida
8. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts