1. News

Attorneys seek to cast doubt on Dontae Morris confession

The defense team for the convicted Tampa cop killer is trying to convince a judge he deserves a new trial.
Dontae Morris attends the first day of a hearing in a Tampa courtroom on Monday. His attorneys hope to convince a judge that his first trial in the shooting deaths of two police officers was not a fair one. [Pool]
Published Aug. 20

TAMPA — Six years ago, Ashley Price testified that Dontae Morris called her the day after the slayings of two Tampa police officers and said he had shot the “crackers” during a traffic stop.

The testimony was a key piece of evidence against Morris during his 2013 trial for the murders of officers David Curtis and Jeffrey Kocab. A jury found him guilty and sentenced him to death.

Now Price’s testimony is in the cross-hairs of Morris’s new defense attorneys as they try to convince a judge this week that Morris deserves a new trial because his first one was unfair.

The lawyers for the office of the Capital Collateral Regional Counsel, a state agency that represents death row inmates, contend that Price lied, that the jury was tainted by video images of the aftermath of the shootings, and that Morris’s trial attorneys failed to present important evidence that could have swayed the jury, including information about his mental state.

In the hearing that began Monday and continued Tuesday, Morris’s attorneys tried to undermine Price’s credibility, presenting evidence aimed at casting her as a liar motivated by $95,000 in reward money and a desire to land a lenient sentence for her own criminal charges that were pending at the time.

When Price took the stand Monday, defense attorney Ann Marie Mirialakis peppered her with questions about what motivated her to drive to the Tampa police station on June 30, 2010 — the day after the murders — to tell detectives about Morris’s confession and then cooperate as a witness for the prosecution three years later.

Mirialakis noted that Price faced a recommended prison sentence of more than six years for violating probation on three felony charges, but the case was continued until after Price testified in Morris’ hearing. She was ultimately sentenced to five years of probation.

“Miss Price, were you ever told by your attorney, the state, anybody, that testifying against Dontae Morris could help you get a lesser sentence?” Mirialakis asked.

"No, ma'am," Price answered.

"Did you hope it would help?"

“No, ma’am.”

Morris, now 33, was the subject of the largest manhunt in Tampa history in the four days that followed the June 29, 2010 murders. A reward of $95,000 was offered for his capture. Price did not receive reward money but testified during Morris’ 2013 trial that that Tampa Police Department helped her with moving expenses after she was evicted.

Another question from Mirialakis foreshadowed likely testimony from James Baird, a former boyfriend of Price’s, who is expected to testify that she told him she made up the story about Morris calling and confessing.

“Have you ever told James Baird that Dante Morris never actually confessed to you?” Mirialakis asked.

“No, ma’am,” Price replied.

Attorneys for Dontae Morris brought Ashley Price back to the stand in an effort to show she lied about hearing Morris confess to the 2010 shooting deaths of two Tampa police officers. Morris was convicted in the slayings and sentenced to death and now a new defense team is seeking a new trial. Price denied that she told a former boyfriend that she made up the story about Morris confessing. [TONY MARRERO | Pool photo]

Whether Baird, who is in jail on unrelated charges, will actually testify as planned on Wednesday was cast into doubt Tuesday when Assistant State Attorney Scott Harmon played a jail call recorded Monday night between Baird, Mirialakis and co-counsel Ali Andrew Shakoor.

In the call, Mirialakis and Shakoor can be heard telling Baird how Price testified earlier in the day. Baird replied that her account is untrue.

“She told me it was a lie,” Baird replied.

Disclosing to Baird how Price testified tainted him as a witness, Harmon told Circuit Judge Michelle Sisco. Harmon said he would file a motion seeking to disqualify Baird as a witness in the hearing.

The proceedings are slated to resume Wednesday morning and conclude Thursday. A separate phase focused on Morris’s mental health is scheduled for October.

In addition to the officer killings, Morris was convicted in the separate murders a few weeks earlier of Rodney Jones and Derek Anderson.

He received a life sentence for killing Jones, and a third death sentence in Anderson’s murder. The sentence in the Anderson case was later overturned because the jury was not unanimous in its recommendation for capital punishment. Prosecutors have not said whether they will seek a new death sentence in the case.

1. Joshua Michael Nichols, 21, was arrested by Pasco County Sheriff's deputies on Saturday in connection to the early morning shooting death of an unidentified man during an argument outside a Spring Hill home. [Pasco County Sheriff's Office] ANASTASIA DAWSON  |  Pasco County Sheriff's Office
    One person is in custody. The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office is investigating.
  2. Yesterday• Pasco
    Dr. Rao Musunuru, MD, received his third “Paul Harris Award.” the highest recognition from the Rotary Club, on Aug. 15. The pin was presented to Dr. Musunuru, a nationally-recognized cardiologist, by Rotary 6950 District Governor Allen Collins in recognition of his humanitarian and philanthropic services to the people of Pasco County and the State of Florida for nearly 40 years. Pictured: Dr. Rao Musunuru, MD, (left) and Rotary 6950 District Governor Allen Collins. Jemith Rosa/Hudson Rotary Club
    News and notes about your neighbors
  3. A Lancaster County Sheriff's deputy walks around the Old Skool Sports Bar and Grill, the scene of a shooting early in the morning, north of Lancaster, S.C. on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019.  Lancaster County Sherriff's Office said in a statement that the agency was investigating a fatal shooting that also injured several people.  (Jessica Holdman/The Post And Courier via AP) JESSICA HOLDMAN  |  AP
    Two adult males were shot and killed.
  4. Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg, right, listens to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, left, during the Youth Climate Summit at United Nations headquarters, Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019.  (AP Photo/Eduardo Munoz Alvarez) EDUARDO MUNOZ ALVAREZ  |  AP
    Swedish 16-year-old activist Greta Thunberg started the climate strike movement with her lone protest in front of her country’s parliament.
  5. Stay with tampabay.com for the latest news and updates. Times
    She was not in a crosswalk when she was hit, troopers say.
  7. Check tampabay.com for the latest breaking news and updates. JAMAL THALJI  |  Tampa Bay Times
    John Clark used a shotgun to kill his mother and another man. Then he returned to the crime scene with a shotgun, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.
  8. Sandra Gero, a regional search associate at Ray and Associates, hosts a meeting at the Middleton High School auditorium and gathers public comments on what people are looking for for the next Hillsborough County School Superintendent on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019 in Tampa. LUIS SANTANA  |  Times
    Using public meetings and a survey, they’re painting a picture of the ideal school leader.
  9. The main exhibit center at the Museum of Science & Industry in Tampa once stirred the imagination with dinosaurs and stars. Now, it's empty, but on the verge of rebirth as a movie studio.
    The County Commission has set aside $2 million for the project as the Film Commission studies the demand for it.
  10. President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison in the East Room of the White House, Friday, Sept. 20, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky) PATRICK SEMANSKY  |  AP
    Hunter Biden worked for a Ukrainian gas company.