1. News

News at noon: Forgotten? More like ignored, say people who remember stories of bodies at Zion Cemetery; trial in Clearwater parking lot shooting nears the end; and more

Here are the top five latest headlines and updates on tampabay.com.
social card for news at noon, for web only [TMCCARTY | times staff]
Published Aug. 23
Updated Aug. 28

Forgotten? More like ignored, say people who remember stories of bodies at Zion Cemetery

Barbara Feliciano believes human remains found near a storefront along the 3700 block of North Florida Avenue the summer of 1953 had emerged from Zion Cemetery, an early 20th century African-American burial ground that once occupied 2 ½ acres now split between that storefront land and a section of Robles Park Village. It appeared the cemetery had been lost or forgotten until it was revealed again with the publication of a special report June 23 in the Tampa Bay Times. But now, with stories surfacing from Feliciano and others, historians and activists are using a different word to describe what happened to Zion Cemetery — ignored.

Trial in the Clearwater parking lot shooting: Day 5, nearing the end

A second day of testimony in the manslaughter trial of Michael Drejka, accused in the July 2018 shooting death of Markeis McGlockton, wrapped up with conflicting views on how the drug MDMA might have affected shooting victim Markeis McGlockton. Signs of MDMA were found in McGlockton’s system. Judge Joseph Bulone said it’s possible the trial could wrap up today. The defense had two expert witnesses to present. After that, the jury will hear closing arguments, then begin deliberations. Each day, our trial coverage team is blogging live events straight from the courtroom.

That tropical disturbance could soak Florida and its chance of becoming a depression is high

That tropical disturbance over the Bahamas now has a 70-percent chance of becoming a depression by early next week, but forecasters said it could happen even sooner. And it’s setting up Florida for another rain event. The system is now just east of the Florida keys, making its way east from the tip of the Bahamas. Currently, it’s only a weak area of low pressure, but it’s producing a large area of cloudiness and storms. It could organize into a tropical depression as it moves over Florida and up the Atlantic coast.

Old rivalries may be on the chopping block in a revamped prep football landscape

Armwood and Plant, which meet in tonight’s season opener, are the only two area high school football programs to make a state title game appearance in the past three seasons. Both teams are primed for another championship run, but their paths, along with several other local schools, are decidedly different after the Florida High School Athletic Association revamped the state’s districts, regions and classifications. The new landscape means more travel in some districts. New rivalries will form. Older ones remain intact. The shakeup also gives some teams legitimate chances of either winning a title outright or making the playoffs after being placed in more favorable districts.

Taylor Swift’s Lover album is out. Here’s an analysis of the lyrics

Taylor Swift’s seventh album, Lover, was released at midnight Friday, delivered immediately into the hands of waiting Swifties who had spent months volleying potential names and themes. The Times’ Tara McCarty will leave reviews to the critics. But you might remember that she’s the person who spent three years analyzing the lyrics in 99 Taylor Swift songs, trying to unlock meaning in the words. Read Look What Taylor Swift Made Me Do here for a refresher. After last year’s project, she felt compelled to add the new album to the count. She found a few surprises.

Sign up for our email newsletters here.

1. Stay with tampabay.com for the latest news and updates. Times
    She was not in a crosswalk when she was hit, troopers say.
  3. Check tampabay.com for the latest breaking news and updates. JAMAL THALJI  |  Tampa Bay Times
    John Clark used a shotgun to kill his mother and another man. Then he returned to the crime scene with a shotgun, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.
  4. Sandra Gero, a regional search associate at Ray and Associates, hosts a meeting at the Middleton High School auditorium and gathers public comments on what people are looking for for the next Hillsborough County School Superintendent on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019 in Tampa. LUIS SANTANA  |  Times
    Using public meetings and a survey, they’re painting a picture of the ideal school leader.
  5. The main exhibit center at the Museum of Science & Industry in Tampa once stirred the imagination with dinosaurs and stars. Now, it's empty, but on the verge of rebirth as a movie studio.
    The County Commission has set aside $2 million for the project as the Film Commission studies the demand for it.
  6. President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison in the East Room of the White House, Friday, Sept. 20, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky) PATRICK SEMANSKY  |  AP
    Hunter Biden worked for a Ukrainian gas company.
  7. Reclaimed water rates are increasing 6 percent in St. Petersburg.
    Potable, waste and reclaimed water fees will all increase. So will garbage fees, though the stormwater fee will drop for some.
  8. Joshua Russell, 26, faces a charge of aggravated manslaughter, according to deputies. Pinellas County Sheriff's Office
    A dose of kratom caused the caretaker to fall asleep for hours inside a hot minivan with the disabled man in the back seat, investigators said.
  9. Tampa Mayor Jane Castor announces federal grants Friday that will equip at least 600 officers with body cameras. CHARLIE FRAGO  |  Charlie Frago
    Mayor Jane Castor announces a nearly $600,000 Department of Justice grant Friday.
  10. Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri spoke Friday about a child protection investigator who was arrested on charges of falsifying reports. JOSH SOLOMON  |  Josh Solomon
    It’s the second time in two years a Pinellas child protection investigator has faced falsification charges.