Carnival Cruise Line won’t sail until Oct. 1 at the earliest, the company announced Monday.
The Miami-based company serves destinations including Port Tampa Bay but suspended new cruises in March, then extended the suspension three times — most recently until August. The latest delay is in line with a decision announced Friday by North American cruise lines to suspend new cruises at least 30 days.
The moves are meant to slow the spread of COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus.
“During this unprecedented pause in our business, we have continued to assess the operating environment and confer with public health, government and industry officials,” Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy told booked guests and travel agents in a letter Monday.
“We have watched with great interest as commerce, travel and personal activities have begun to start back up,” Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy said in a letter to booked guests and travel agents, “and once we do resume service, we will take all necessary steps to ensure the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we bring our ships to in order to maintain public confidence in our business.”
Carnival is completing the repatriation of nearly 29,000 crew members to more than 100 nations who serve its fleet of 27 ships, the company said in a news release. As with previous announcements, Carnival is giving guests who wish to move their booking to a later date a rebooking offer. Guests can submit their preference online until May 31, 2021.
Before the suspension, the 2,124-passenger Carnival Paradise had been sailing on alternating Mondays and Thursdays from Port Tampa Bay.