CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER APPOINTED: Oak Hill Hospital in Spring Hill recently announced the appointment of Steve Young as chief operating officer. Young replaces Sonia Wellman, who left to accept the position of CEO at Memorial Hospital of Tampa, another HCA facility. Young returns to Oak Hill from Doctors Hospital of Sarasota, where he also served as COO.
INTERNAL MEDICINE AND TRANSITIONAL YEAR RESIDENTS: Oak Hill Hospital recently introduced the 2017 class of Graduate Medical Education Program internal medicine residents. Members of the class include Fatima Agha, Salli Aziz, Lakshpaul Chauhan, Venkatesh Gupta Cheetirala, Farrah Chilet, Rania Godil, Alexander Gutierrez, Arshad Iqbal, Salman Masood, Adeeb Mustafa, Salaah Siddiqui, Zaid Tabbaa, Nour Tlimat and Fahad Zafar Allama. The hospital appoints 15 new residents each year. Internal medicine residents train in the hospital on general medicine teams and specialty services, including the emergency department. This is the fourth class of the program, which is led by Dr. Salman Muddassir.
Oak Hill also has announced the first class of its transitional year program, a one-year post-graduate program for residents to have a variety of training experiences before further subspecialty training. Members of the class include: Richard Bonney, Dustin Brown, Robert Cooper, Alan Drennen, Andrew Keller, Whitney King, Berenice Lopez Leal, Christopher Megargel, Maulik Patel and Nicholas Pigg. The program is led by Dr. Dean F. Connors.
CHAMBER CONNECT POWER LUNCH: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will host its May Chamber Connections Power Lunch at noon May 5 at Wrap's Mexican Grille, 1135 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. The topic will be geared for professionals in the real estate industry. The lunch will be sponsored by Grow Financial Federal Credit Union. The cost is $15 if prepaid online, or $20 at the door. For information or to RSVP, call (352) 796-0697 or visit hernandochamber.com.
NETWORKING COMMITTEE TO MEET: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce's Networking Committee will meet at 8:30 a.m. May 11 at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville. Committee members meet to collaborate on ideas, and then decide which ideas to implement. For information, call Ray Heter at (352) 796-0697 or visit hernandochamber.com.
CHAMBER'S AFTER HOURS MIXER: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will have its After Hours Mixer at 5:30 p.m. May 11 at 5000 Calienta St., Hernando Beach. The event is sponsored by Blue Pelican Marina. The event is free. To RSVP, visit hernandochamber.com. For information, call (352) 796-0697.
LOCAL BUSINESS INPUT SOUGHT: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce's Advocacy Committee Region 1 will meet at 7:30 a.m. May 16 at IHOP, 3360 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. The group would like to hear from local businesses in Hernando County. Participants will learn how the committee is structured to serve local businesses. The guest speaker will be Ronald F. Pianta, Hernando County director of planning and zoning and assistant county administrator. To RSVP, visit hernandochamber.com or call (352) 796-0697.
CHAMBER BOOT CAMP: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will have its Chamber Connect Boot Camp from 7:15 to 9 a.m. June 1, 15, 22 and 29 at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville. Networking will be from 7:15 to 8 a.m. with training from 8 to 9 a.m. The training program is free for chamber members. Participants will learn how to utilize their chamber membership and resources to promote and grow business. They also will participate in interactive discussions and attend a graduation celebration. For information or to register, visit hernandochamber.com.
Follow trends affecting the local economy
Subscribe to our free Business by the Bay newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
ACADEMY FOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: Pasco Hernando SCORE will present its Academy for Business Development, a four-week program for existing businesses to learn and develop new strategies, at Rasmussen College, 18600 Fernview St., Land O'Lakes. Each session will be from 9:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. (continental breakfast at 9 a.m.). Session dates include:
• June 3, It's All About the Money. Jim Hammond will present "Using Financial Statements to Manage and Grow Your Business," followed by Brad Frank, who will present "How to Obtain Finances for Your Business."
• June 10, Selling Strategies. Mike Lewis will make two presentations, "Focused Selling" and "Personality Selling."
• June 17, the Future of Marketing. Jack Grise will present "Marketing: What It Is and Why You Need a Plan."
• June 24, Cost Effective Insurance. Dr. Eric Crall will present "Cost-Effective Health Benefits for Your Employees," followed by Tracy Len Robinson, who will present "Commercial Insurance for Your Business."
The cost for all four sessions is $149, and attendees will receive a USB drive with program content. The registration deadline is May 20. To register, visit pasco hernando.score.org.
SMALL BUSINESS SEMINARS: Pasco Hernando SCORE is presenting a series of free small business seminars:
• Pricing for Profit, 5 to 6:50 p.m. May 9, Zephyrhills Public Library, 5347 Eighth St., Zephyrhills.
• Commercial Insurance Issues for Small Businesses, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 9, New Port Richey Branch Library, 5939 Main St., New Port Richey.
• Introduction to QuickBooks, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 11, Regency Park Branch Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
To register and for information, visit pascohernando.score.org and click on the local workshops tab or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
If you have business announcements you would like to share with our readers, mail the details to Jean Hamilton, Business Digest, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613-6174. You may also email items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned. Call (352) 848-1438.
Networking and mixers
• Nature Coast Business Professionals: 7:30 a.m. May 5, IHOP restaurant, 3660 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. Guests are welcome. Those attending may order from the menu. Call Dana Cutlip, (352) 293-4317.
• Connect B2B (Business to Business) Networking: 7 a.m. May 8 , Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville. Free for chamber members, $5 for non-members. To register, visit hernandochamber.com or call (352) 796-0697.
• BNI Winning Edge: 7:15 a.m. May 9, Northcliffe Baptist Church, 10515 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill. The cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Dan Brown, (262) 676-2776.
• Keep It Local-Spring Hill/Brooksville Chapter: 7:45 a.m. May 10, Spring Hill Diner, 3426 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill. Call Melanie Grossi, (352) 263-7749.
• Keep It Local — Hernando Business Professionals Chapter: 11:15 a.m., second, third and fourth Wednesday of each month, Beef 'O' Brady's, 14387 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call Lauren Jolly, (352) 610-3435.
• BNI Leaders by Design: 7:15 to 9:30 a.m. May 11, Temple Beth David, 13158 Antelope St., Spring Hill. No cost for first-time visitors. Call Chris Dyer, (352) 849-5353.