PLANT EMPLOYEES JOIN UNION: Workers at the Brooksville Cemex cement plant voted to join the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, Blacksmiths, Forgers and Helpers in a union certified by the National Labor Relations Board on Oct. 26. With representation from the union, the Cemex workers will now form a negotiating committee with the intent to secure a contract with the employer.
HOSPITAL UNIT RECOGNIZED: The Post-Anesthesia Care Unit at Oak Hill Hospital recently received the American Board of Perianesthesia Nursing Certification Achievement Award, recognizing that all eligible perianesthesia nurses at the hospital hold the CPAN and/or CAPA credentials. Oak Hill Hospital is the only hospital in Florida to earn the recognition in 2018.
DOCTOR RECOGNIZED: Hernando Orthopedic and Spinal Surgery announced Dr. Michael W. Higgins has been recognized by the American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics as a fellow and may used the credentials FAOAO. Dr. Higgins was recognized recently at the 2018 American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics award ceremony at the Hilton Atlanta. The ceremony was held at the academy's annual convention, where Dr. Higgins also served as a general session moderator.
DOCTOR JOINS PRACTICE: Dr. Amrita Randhawa has joined the medical staff as a hospitalist at Access Health Care Physicians. Dr. Randhawa, who recently completed her residency at Oak Hill Hospital, is board-certified in internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine. For information, call (352) 688-8116.
HOSPITAL WELCOMES DOCTOR: Dr. Anthony Dedea has joined the medical staff at Oak Hill Hospital. Board-certified in family medicine, Dr. Dedea practices at Nature Coast Center for Primary Care in Homosassa. For information, call (352) 382-5000.
EMERGENCY ROOM GETS NEW ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR: Oak Hill Hospital appointed Melissa Pomeroy Rickheeram as associate director of the Emergency Room. Rickheeram comes to Oak Hill Hospital from Regional Medical Care Center Bayonet Point, where she was manager of emergency services. She will be under the direct oversight of Kim Loucks, director of the ER. Rickheeram lives in Spring Hill with her husband and children.
HOSPITAL NAMES NEW DIRECTOR: Oak Hill Hospital appointed Cassandra Hughes as associate director of Surgical Services. Hughes comes to Oak Hill Hospital from Citrus Memorial Hospital, where she served as associate director of surgical services. At Oak Hill, she will receive executive oversight from Jenn Topping, director of surgical services.
CHAMBER RIBBON-CUTTINGS: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will have the following ribbon cuttings:
Noon Nov. 13 at Gray & Gray and Associates, Chamber Office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, Brooksville. Call Erin Mike-Mayer, (315) 379-8005.
10 a.m. Nov. 14 at the Good Neighbor Trail at the Old Train Depot, 70 Russell St., Brooksville. Call Ryan Malloy, (352) 540-6409.
Noon Nov. 29 at Junior Service League of Brooksville, Chamber Office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, Brooksville. Call Lindsay Morgan, (352) 263-1041.
HEALTHCARE MONTHLY NETWORKING CONNECTION: The next meeting will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 13 at Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail, Spring Hill. Speakers include Wellness Coordinator Diane Friedberg and Marketing/Events Coordinator Teresa Robinson from Wellcome OM Integral Healing and Education Center. $15 for pre-registered members, $20 guests at the door. To register, visit hernandochamber.com or call (352) 796-0697.
CHAMBER MEMBERSHIP MEETING: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will host its monthly membership meeting at 7:15 a.m. Nov. 14 at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, Spring Hill. The sponsor is WGHR Hits 106 radio. The theme is "Thanks for Giving." The cost is $15 for members, $20 guests, at the door. Preregistration is strongly advised. Call (352) 796-0697 or register online at hernandochamber.com.
MARKETING COMMITTEE TO MEET: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce’s Marketing Committee will meet at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 14 at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville. The committee, which focuses on branding, will work to create new chamber-specific goals for the membership. For information about joining the committee, call Lindsay Cacciatore at (352) 796-0697.
ASK AN EXPERT: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals will host "Ask an Expert" meeting at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 15 at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, Brooksville. This is a networking group. The speaker will be Ryan Brewer of Brewer & Sons Funeral Homes; the topic is Bringing Business Into the 21st Century. RSVP at hernandochamber.com or call for information at (352) 796-0697.
OFF THE CLOCK CONNECTIONS: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce's monthly Off the Clocks Connections mixer will be at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 15 at Davis Family Hearing, 5119 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. Pizza will be provided by Domino's of Spring Hill, and music provided by Dan Chapman. There is no cost to attend, but reservations are highly encouraged. RSVP at hernandochamber.com. For information, call (352) 796-0697.
OPERATION OUTREACH COMMITTEE: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce’s Operation Outreach Committee will meet at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 15 at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, Brooksville. The committee mentors new chamber members as they learn to effectively network, market and brand their businesses. Call (352) 796-0697 or visit hernandochamber.com.
SMALL-BUSINESS SEMINARS: Pasco Hernando SCORE is presenting a series of free small-business seminars:
• How to Apply for a Business Loan, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14, South Holiday Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Road, Holiday.
• How to Start a New Business Successfully, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 15, New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills.
To register or to get more information, visit pascohernando.score.org and click on the local workshops tab. Or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
• Nature Coast Business Professionals: 7:30 a.m. Fridays, IHOP restaurant, 3660 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. Guests are welcome. Those attending may order from the menu. Call Dana Cutlip, (352) 293-4317.
• Connect B2B (Business to Business) Networking: 7:15 to 8:30 a.m. Mondays, Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville. Free for chamber members, $5 for non-members. To register, visit hernandochamber.com or call (352) 796-0697.
• Connect B2B (Business to Business) Networking, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Country Kitchen, 20133 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Free for Chamber members, $5 for non-members. To register, visit hernandochamber.com or call (352) 796-0697.
• BNI Winning Edge: 7:15 a.m. Tuesdays, Northcliffe Baptist Church, 10515 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill. The cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Dan Brown, (262) 676-2776.
• Keep It Local — Spring Hill/Brooksville Chapter: 7:45 a.m. Wednesdays, Great Life Church, 14494 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Call Melanie Grossi, (352) 263-7749.
• Keep It Local — Hernando Business Professionals Chapter: 11:15 a.m., second, third and fourth Wednesday of each month, Beef ‘O’ Brady’s, 14387 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call Lauren Jolly, (352) 610-3435.
• BNI Leaders by Design: 7:15 to 9:30 a.m. Thursdays, Temple Beth David, 13158 Antelope St., Spring Hill. No cost for first-time visitors. Call Chris Dyer, (352) 849-5353.
Contact Phyllis Day at [email protected] or (352) 848-1408. Follow @pdaytimes.