HOSPITAL EARNS SAFETY AWARD: Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point recently announced that it received the Healthgrades 2017 Patient Safety Excellence Award, a designation that recognizes superior performance in hospitals that have prevented the occurrence of serious, potentially avoidable complications for patients during hospital stays. Healthgrades is the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals.
HOSPITAL NAMED ONE OF AMERICA'S BEST STROKE CENTER: Florida Hospital Zephyrhills was recently named one of America's Best Stroke Centers by the Women's Choice Award, signifying that the hospital is in the top seven percent of 4,789 U.S. hospitals offering stroke care services. FHZ is also one of 339 award recipients nationwide representing hospitals that have met the highest standards for stroke care by the Women's Choice Award.
INTERIM DIRECTOR NAMED: Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point recently announced the appointment of Melissa Vann as interim director of medical telemetry and medical oncology. Vann was promoted from her position as nurse manager of progressive care unit and critical care unit at the hospital. Vann joined HCA in May 2012 and has held leadership positions at Regional medical Center since December 2012.
QUALITY ASSURANCE MANAGER HIRED: Joel Jarrell recently joined Sun Toyota, 3001 U.S. 19, Holiday, as quality assurance manager. Jarrell will be responsible to grow and strengthen customer contacts, relationships and loyalty in all areas of the dealership, including sales, service, finance operations and social media. Jarrell transferred to Sun Toyota from Brandon Honda. Both dealerships are divisions of Morgan Auto Group.
CAREGIVER OF THE YEAR: Home Instead Senior Care, a provider of in-home senior care services, recently announced that Christine Collins of New Port Richey has been named the Southeast Caregiver of the Year. A caregiver on the gulf coast for seven years, Collins is one of eight nominees who will be considered for the national award. After a 40-year career in the banking industry in New York, Collins and her husband moved to Florida, where her mother lived. She started working for a local hospice organization, and after her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, she became her primary caregiver. After her mother died, Collins began working for Home Instead Senior Care in New Port Richey. "Her commitment to her clients and compassionate service represents the best of our organization," said John Murphy, owner of the local office.
SMALL BUSINESS CONFERENCE: The Florida Small Business Development Council at the University of South Florida will present the 30th annual Government Small Business Conference on May 5 at the Holiday Inn Westshore in Tampa. At the conference, "Game Plan for Federal Contracting," small-business owners will learn how to optimize opportunities through workshops, panel discussions and a Business Opportunity Expo featuring federal agencies. In addition, the event will feature a Small Business Awards luncheon with keynote speeches by Troy Taylor, Coca-Cola Beverages Florida chairman and CEO, and Gregory Celestan, Celestar Corp. chairman and CEO. The cost is $225. Veteran scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis. For information, call (813) 905-5829. To register, visit SBDCTampaBay.com/gsbc2017.
Follow trends affecting the local economy
Subscribe to our free Business by the Bay newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
ACADEMY FOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: Pasco Hernando SCORE will present its Academy for Business Development, a four-week program for existing businesses to learn and develop new strategies, at Rasmussen College, 18600 Fernview St., Land O'Lakes. Each session will be from 9:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. (continental breakfast at 9 a.m.). Session dates include:
• June 3, It's All About the Money. Jim Hammond will present "Using Financial Statements to Manage and Grow Your Business," followed by Brad Frank, who will present "How to Obtain Finances for Your Business."
• June 10, Selling Strategies. Mike Lewis will make two presentations, "Focused Selling" and "Personality Selling."
• June 17, the Future of Marketing. Jack Grise will present "Marketing: What It Is and Why You Need a Plan."
• June 24, Cost Effective Insurance. Dr. Eric Crall will present "Cost-Effective Health Benefits for Your Employees," followed by Tracy Len Robinson, who will present "Commercial Insurance for Your Business."
The cost for all four sessions is $149, and attendees will receive a USB drive with program content. The registration deadline is May 20. To register, visit pasco hernando.score.org.
SMALL BUSINESS SEMINARS: Pasco Hernando SCORE is presenting a series of free small business seminars:
• Pricing for Profit, 5 to 6:50 p.m. May 9, Zephyrhills Public Library, 5347 Eighth St., Zephyrhills.
• Commercial Insurance Issues for Small Businesses, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 9, New Port Richey Branch Library, 5939 Main St., New Port Richey.
• Introduction to QuickBooks, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 11, Regency Park Branch Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
To register and for information, visit pascohernando.score.org and click on the local workshops tab or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hamilton, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. You may also email items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned. Call (352) 848-1438.
Networking and mixers
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road, New Port Richey. Call Tony Nalli at (727) 858-7907.
• Women's Connection of New Port Richey: 11:30 a.m. the second Monday of each month (September through May) at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $15 and includes lunch and a speaker. To RSVP, call Linda at (727) 856-4042 or Anita at (727) 863-2126.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesdays at Verizon Event Center, 8718 Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 815-7744.
• East Pasco Networking Group: 7:30 a.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at Village Inn, 5214 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills. Call Nils Lenz at (813) 782-9491.
• Suncoast Women in Networking: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at Beef'O'Brady's, 5546 Main St., New Port Richey. Suncoast WIN is a group of professional businesswomen. Membership is $10 per year. Call Myrtle at (727) 934-9993.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. The group is made up of professionals who promote each other's businesses. Visit westpascobusinessassociation.com.
• Trinity Business Association: 6 to 7:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Fox Hollow Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway. Networking begins at 5:30 p.m., meeting starts at 6 p.m. Guests welcome. Cost is $12. Call Ginny Pierce at (727) 433-4073.
• BNI Platinum: 7:15 a.m. Wednesdays at Heritage Harbor Golf & Country Club, 19502 Heritage Harbor Parkway, Lutz. Call Bob Nixon at (813) 263-5632.
• Pasco Business Connections: 7:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Broken Yolk, 3350 Grand Blvd., Holiday. Email email@example.com.
• Wednesday Morning Networking Group: 7:30 a.m. the first and third Wednesdays of each month at Hungry Harry's Family Bar-B-Que, 3116 Land O'Lakes Blvd. A short networking presentation will be followed by a chance for all attendees to do a 30-second commercial. The event sponsor is Proly, Laporte & Mulligan P.A. Cost is $7 and includes breakfast. Call the Central Pasco Chamber of Commerce at (813) 909-2722.
• Keep It Local-Trinity Chapter: 8 a.m. Wednesdays at Havana Dreamers Cafe, 3104 Town Ave., Trinity. (813) 405-7815.
• Pasco Aging Network: 8 to 10 a.m. the second Wednesday of each month. Location changes each month. For information or to RSVP, visit pascoagingnetwork.org. PAN is a coalition of agencies and private providers of elder services in Pasco.
• Keep It Local-Wesley Chapel Chapter: 8:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Lexington Oaks Golf & Country Club, 26133 Lexington Oaks Blvd., Wesley Chapel. (813) 405-7815.
• Keep It Local-Christian Women's Network Chapter: 9:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Direction Connection, 2632 U.S. 19, Holiday. (813) 405-7815.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays at Cantina Laredo, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• Keep It Local-New Port Richey Chapter: 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Direction Connection, 2632 U.S. 19, Holiday. (813) 405-7815.
• Keep It Local-Odessa/Trinity Chapter: 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Seven Springs Golf & Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., Trinity. (813) 405-7815.
• West Pasco Business Network: noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays at Hibachi Buffet, 10421 U.S. 19, Port Richey. Call Joanne Grassi at (727) 856-9595.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursdays at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Clay Henderson at (727) 534-5191.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursdays at Vallarta's Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.
• Christian Business Connections of Central Pasco: 7:45 to 9:15 a.m. Thursdays at Quail Hollow Golf Club, 6225 Old Pasco Road, Wesley Chapel. Cost of $9 per meeting, includes breakfast and beverages. Annual membership dues are $100. Call Rene Van Hout at (813) 300-7511.
• Trinity/West Pasco Chapter of NPI: 7:45 a.m. Thursdays at IHOP, 10740 State Road 54, New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• Networking For Your Success: 8 a.m. Thursdays at Lexington Oaks Country Club, 2615 Lexington Oaks Blvd., Wesley Chapel. Cost is $5 and includes a continental breakfast. Annual membership is $79. Call Matt at (813) 782-1777.
• Women-n-Charge: 11:30 a.m. on the first Friday of each month, Pebble Creek Country Club, 10550 Regents Park Dr., Tampa. Cost is $15 for members in advance, $18 for guests and at the door. Call Judy at (813) 600-9848.