Chamber Community Awards: The Greater Dade City Chamber of Commerce presented its annual community awards Oct. 17. Serving as masters of ceremonies were David West of the Tampa Bay Times, Betty Cakes and Jimmy Adcock, chamber president.
Winners were: Bobby Van Allen, Business Leader of the Year; Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative, Large Business of the Year; Hampton Inn Dade City/Zephyrhills, Small Business of the Year; Ron Oakley, Citizen of the Year; Ken Buzzie, Chamber Ambassador of the Year; Jim Browne, Chamber Member of the Year; Penny Morrill, Richard Tombrink Lifetime Achievement Award, and Cliff Martin, President's Award.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Tampa (Lewis Abraham Lacoochee Boys & Girls Club) and Love One Another (First Baptist Church of Dade City) tied for Civic Association of the Year.
The chamber is a member-based nonprofit corporation dedicated to the promotion of business development and quality of life in the Greater Dade City area.
HOSPITAL WELCOMES SUBWAY: Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point announces that a Subway restaurant has opened in the Shoreline Cafeteria of its hospital at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson.
The restaurant hours are from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week. The menu can be viewed at subway.com/menu/default.aspx. A separate restaurant telephone number will soon be installed for call ahead orders.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: SCORE Chapter 439 is looking for volunteers to put their business skills to work helping local businesses. SCORE mentors donate their time and talent to small businesses. For details, visit score439.org and click on "Volunteer."
HUNGRY HOWIE'S GOES PINK FOR BREAST CANCER FOUNDATION: Hungry Howie's kicked off its fifth annual Love, Hope & Pizza campaign on Oct. 1 to benefit the National Breast Cancer Foundation. During October, the restaurant will go pink with large pizzas being served in pink boxes with the NBCF logo.
For every story shared on Facebook, every new Facebook fan, every picture tagged #LOVEHOPEPIZZA and every large pizza purchased, Hungry Howie's will make a donation to NBCF. Supporters may also purchase $1 Love, Hope & Pizza wristbands with all proceeds going to NBCF.
For information, visit hungryhowies.com.
SMALL-BUSINESS CONSULTATIONS: Free consultations for small businesses and entrepreneurs are available by appointment from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month in the Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce conference room at 38550 Fifth Ave.
The chamber offers the free and confidential consultations in partnership with the Small Business Development Center at the University of South Florida.
To get information or to schedule an appointment, call toll-free 1-888-929-2221.
MEET AND GREET: The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will host a Meet and Greet at C1 Bank, 7435 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. For information, call Tammy Heistand at (813) 715-4700.
Follow trends affecting the local economy
Subscribe to our free Business by the Bay newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
HARVEST FESTIVAL/BUSINESS EXPO: The 10th annual Harvest Festival/Business Expo will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Zephyr Park, 38116 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills.
The free event is a faith and family event offering live Christian entertainment, exhibitors and businesses, in addition to food, games, giveaways and family fun. For information, call (813) 317-4975 or email email@example.com.
HOSPICE THRIFT SHOPPE CELEBRATES ANNIVERSARY: Gulfside Regional Hospice's Thrift Shoppe, 6117 State Road 54 in New Port Richey will celebrate its first anniversary by having a 25 percent off storewide "Sale-a-Bration" from Nov. 4-9 during normal business hours.
To kick off the week of Sale-a-Bration, the thrift shop will host Dale Smrekar, president of Downsizing Advisory Service from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 4, as he offers in-store antique appraisals. Smrekar will appraise any single item for $2 or three items for $5. All proceeds from the appraisals will support Gulfside's Hike for Hospice event on Nov. 10.
FREE SMALL BUSINESS SEMINARS: SCORE Chapter 439 is presenting several free seminars.
• "Using the Internet in Your Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Wesley Chapel.
• "E-Marketing Concepts," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 5, Centennial Park Branch Library, 5730 Moog Road, Holiday.
• "How to Apply for a Business Loan," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 6, Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 4th St., Dade City.
• "How to Apply for a Business Loan," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 7, Regency Park Branch Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:15 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 12, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson.
• "Marketing to Grow Your Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 12, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
To register and for additional information, visit score439.org and click on the "Local Workshops" tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
Save the date
NATIONAL PHILANTHROPY DAY LUNCHEON: The Nature Coast chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals will host its National Philanthropy Day luncheon at noon Nov. 12 at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey.
Nominations are being accepted. Categories include: philanthropist of the year, philanthropic corporation, philanthropic small business, philanthropic service organization, volunteer and youth. Sponsorships are available. Contact Craig McCart at (727) 834-5479.
PIGZ IN Z'HILLS BBQ & BLUES: The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce's fourth annual Pigz in Z'Hills BBQ & Blues will be Jan. 18 at the Zephyrhills Municipal Airport, 39450 South Ave. Visit zephyrhillschamber.org.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. You may also email items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they they will not be returned.
Networking and mixers
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Monday at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road, in Regency Shopping Center, New Port Richey. Call Ashok Visuvasam at (813) 333-1622.
• BNI Business by Referral: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Heritage Church, 1854 Oak Grove Blvd., Lutz. Call Alyssa Kaplan toll-free at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Timber Greens Country Club, 6333 Timber Greens Blvd., New Port Richey. The cost is $8 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 847-3898.
• Catholic Business Network: 7:30 to 9 a.m. Tuesday at Our Lady of the Rosary, 2348 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes. All Christians welcome to network. Call Mary Ann Whallen at (813) 833-4737 or visit cbntampa.com.
• Hudson Networking Group: West Pasco Chamber's business card and brochure exchange is from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday at Atria Baypoint Village, 7927 State Road 52, Hudson. The event is sponsored by Read Wealth Management. The cost is $10. To RSVP, call the chamber at (727) 842-7651 by Monday.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. Made up of professionals who promote one another's businesses. Visit westpascobusinessassociation.com.
• BNI Revenue Source: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at Heritage Springs, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Call Alyssa Kaplan toll-free at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• Pasco Business Connections: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Broken Yolk, 3350 Grand Blvd., Holiday. The group meets Wednesdays. Email email@example.com.
• Knowledgeable Network of Women, sponsored by the Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce, will have its October lunch meeting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Scotland Yards Golf Club, 8900 Wire Road, Dade City. Guest speaker will be Jodi Wilkeson, president of WDA Design Group. KNOW is a personal and professional development program for women in the greater Zephyrhills area. The cost is $15 for chamber members and $20 for nonmembers. Call the chamber at (813) 782-1913. To RSVP, call (813) 782-1913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Cantina Laredo restaurant, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• Trinity Networking Group: West Pasco Chamber's business card and brochure exchange is from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Fox Hollow Golf Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. The event is sponsored by ABCO Graphics & Printing. The cost is $11. RSVP to the chamber at (727) 842-7651.
• West Pasco Business Network: Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Blue Dolphin, 8825 State Road 52, Hudson. For more information, visit westpascobusiness.org or call Bill Pearce at (727) 277-2617.