Advertisement
  1. News
  2. /
  3. Clearwater

Clearwater man, 91, dies after house fire caused by cigarette

Investigators determined a lit cigarette in a garbage can caused the fire.
A 91-year-old Clearwater man has died after a cigarette left in a garbage can caused a house fire Monday, officials said.
A 91-year-old Clearwater man has died after a cigarette left in a garbage can caused a house fire Monday, officials said. [ Clearwater Fire and Rescue ]
Published Oct. 19

A 91-year-old Clearwater man has died after a lit cigarette in a garbage can caused a house fire Monday, officials said.

Clearwater Fire and Rescue was called to the scene of the fire in the 1200 block of Claire Drive just before 8 a.m. Monday. Firefighters put the blaze out by 8:15 a.m. They provided treatment to Thomas Banes on the scene before he was taken to Mease Countryside Hospital, where he died, fire officials said.

Investigators determined the fire started in a bedroom and was “caused by a lit cigarette in a garbage can,” a news release states.