Man charged with wife's abduction barred from seeing their kids

Published April 4, 2017

PLANT CITY — She is still without custody of her children, but Alisa Summers won a small victory in court Tuesday when a judge dismissed the domestic violence injunction her estranged husband filed against her a month before he violently kidnapped her.

Hillsborough Circuit Judge Artemeus McNeil not only dismissed the injunction Trevor Summers, 39, filed against his wife, but also allowed the injunction she filed against him to include a provision that would prevent Trevor Summers from having contact with their five children. The next hearing in Alisa Summers' domestic violence injunction is scheduled for April 18.

It's just one domino in a chain of legal battles involving the couple that was set in motion earlier this month after Trevor Summers abducted his wife, prompting a 54-hour manhunt.

Some of those battles are fought in closed courtrooms, leaving many questions unanswered.

Trevor Summers has been charged with multiple crimes allegedly committed during the abduction, and is being held in the Hillsborough County Jail. In a Tuesday morning child custody hearing that was closed to the public, he told a judge he was trying to get bail. In addition to their ongoing divorce settlement, the couple is now fighting for sole custody of their children, ages three to 14. When Alisa Summers was kidnapped, the state placed the children under the care of Trevor Summers' parents.

"Clearly it's in the best interest of these children to not have contact with the father who is alleged to have kidnapped and attempted to murder my client," said Alisa Summers' attorney, Steven Glaros.

The petition for a domestic violence injunction against Trevor Summers that Alisa Summers, 37, filed Feb. 21 was her second. The first was filed Oct. 31, 2016, after she reported that her husband held her against her will in their home, but it was dismissed for a lack of evidence.

Trevor Summers held Alisa Summers captive again the night of Feb. 18, she said. He threatened to bind her with rope and duct tape, and he put a machete to her throat, she said. After he agreed to let Alisa Summers go, Trevor Summers went to her house while she was reporting the incident to sheriff's deputies and collected their five children.

The children were in his care from the time he picked them up in February to the time he abducted Alisa Summers, she said.

The children were home-schooled by Alisa Summers and have not continued their studies since their father picked them up in February, she said.

In addition to their ongoing divorce and the criminal case against Trevor Summers, the state of Florida has also filed a petition to terminate his parental rights, his attorney, Rebecca Graham, said during the domestic violence proceedings Tuesday.