PINELLAS PARK — A 24-year-old Holiday man faces charges of attempted murder for driving into two people, throwing his car into reverse, and driving into them again, touching off a brawl outside a banquet hall, Pinellas Park police said.
The victims, a 10 year-old-girl and a 35-year-old man, were taken to a hospital with injuries that were serious but not life-threatening, police said.
Roberto Dothe was arrested on two counts off attempted second-degree murder in the early Sunday attack at Banquet Masters, 13355 49th St. Anthony Benitez, 18, a back-seat passenger, faces a charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon in the case.
Officers responded to a 911 call from Banquet Masters at about 2:50 a.m. and learned that the driver of a vehicle had intentionally run over two victims, police said in a news release. A large fight broke out afterward and three people were taken to a hospital.
The venue was the scene of a party that drew many guests as well as people who were not invited, police said. Three people argued with guests at the event then got into a car and drove indiscriminately into a crowd, striking two victims.
Dothe, who was at the wheel, hit a truck in the parking lot, reversed, and struck the victims a second time, police said. A crowd surrounded the car and began to attack the three occupants.
One party guest, identified as Roque Villalpando, fought with a male passenger in the front seat, seriously injuring him, police said. Benitez, who was in the back seat, then struck Villalpando in the head with a bottle of alcohol, causing serious injury.
Dothe fled on foot and was taken into custody nearby. He was booked at the Pinellas County jail. A bail amount was not listed for him Sunday.
Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated Dothe had been released on $10,000 bail.