On Jan. 8, the Pinellas County school system will start accepting applications for choice programs for the 2020-21 academic year. The offerings include magnet, fundamental and high school career programs. The school system refers to these as “district application programs.”
This process does not apply to those who plan to attend their regular zoned school next year. Students who are moving to the next level and are already registered with the district will automatically receive notices about zoned school assignments. New zoned school students, including those entering kindergarten in 2020-21, can register under a separate process starting in January. (visit pcsb.org/kg for details).
For more information about choice programs, consult this guide or visit pcsb.org/choice and find the District Application Programs Guide for 2020-21.
Applying for a program
• First, make sure you have a User ID and password. If you misplaced yours or don't have them yet, you can get them at any nearby school with a photo ID. Only one User ID and password is needed per family.
• Apply online Jan. 8-17
• Go to reservation.pcsb.org and log on to the Student Reservation System, known as SRS, using your User ID and password.
• Choose up to five programs and rank them in order of preference. You can do this any time during the application period; your odds are not affected by whether you go early or later.
• Some programs have entrance criteria, and many accept only applicants who live in a certain part of the county. (See the District Application Programs Guide at pcsb.org/choice for information on the criteria and a map of application zones.) Students outside the system who are applying to a program with entrance criteria must deliver documentation of their eligibility to the program office by the end of the school day on Jan. 24, 2020.
• The process is different for out-of-county residents trying to gain entrance into Pinellas schools. A special attendance permit is required. Visit pcsb.org/choice for details.
Accepting an invitation
• Log on to the Student Reservation System between Feb. 10-21 to accept one program invitation. If you get an invitation and do not accept during this time, your invitation becomes invalid.
• Families can change their selection before Feb. 21.
• Once a program's invitation is accepted and the deadline passes, the student's name will be removed from all other lists, including waiting lists (except the Centers for Gifted Studies).
• You don’t need to accept waiting list spots.