1. News
  2. /
  3. Education

Four days, 90 speakers, no charge. St. Pete forum tackles global issues.

This year’s Conference on World Affairs reaches out to include high school students and more conservative voices.
At next week's St. Petersburg Conference on World Affairs, panels will be held at USF St. Petersburg's University Student Center at 600 Sixth Ave. S, while film screenings and book talks will convene at the nearby Kate Tiedemann College of Business. [SCOTT KEELER  |  Times (2017)]
At next week's St. Petersburg Conference on World Affairs, panels will be held at USF St. Petersburg's University Student Center at 600 Sixth Ave. S, while film screenings and book talks will convene at the nearby Kate Tiedemann College of Business. [SCOTT KEELER | Times (2017)]
Published Feb. 12

ST. PETERSBURG – Climate change. Infectious disease. Women’s equality. Jazz.

Nothing will be off the table at the eighth annual St. Petersburg Conference on World Affairs next week at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, the Palladium Theater and Eckerd College.

With a growing emphasis on art and a larger outreach to the community, organizers say there is something for everyone.

This year’s lineup will offer more than “your classic bombs-and-rockets sort of high diplomacy,” said Thomas W. Smith, a political science professor at USFSP and co-founder of the event.

“We want the conference to look like the world looks in terms of the kind of interests and aspirations and problems that people face in their everyday lives,” Smith said.

The conference, which is free and open to the public on a first-come, first-seated basis, will be held Tuesday through Friday. It will feature nearly 90 speakers from government, academia, business, the military, the news media and the arts. Advance registration is encouraged.

Carol Bellamy will deliver the keynote address, “The Rights and Plights of the World’s Children,” at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the Palladium Theater, 253 Fifth Ave. N.

Bellamy, a former director of the Peace Corps and former executive director of UNICEF, is chair of a Geneva-based nonprofit that works to strengthen resilience against what it calls “violent extremist agendas” through job creation and empowering women and youth.

Following the keynote will be a concert by a trio led by Cuban piano master Chuchito Valdes. Attendees can get a $10 discount on $25 tickets for Tier B seats when they use the code WORLD at checkout on the Palladium’s website.

This will be the first year the conference expands to Eckerd College. Retired Army Gen. John Nicholson, who recently commanded NATO and U.S. forces in Afghanistan, will deliver the closing address at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 21, in Fox Hall on the campus at 4200 54th Ave. S.

Panels will be held Wednesday through Friday at the USF St. Petersburg University Student Center at 600 Sixth Ave. S, while film screenings and book talks will convene at the nearby Kate Tiedemann College of Business.

Among the topics: “International Business in the Tampa Bay Region — Opportunities and Challenges”; “Let’s Get Money Out of Politics. Where to Start?”; “Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Health Care”; “Obesity As a Global Public Health Issue”; and “Should Trump Be Reelected Based on First Term Successes?”

“We have had criticisms from time to time that certain panels were not balanced enough — usually not balanced enough in favor of more conservative voices,” said conference president Diane Seligsohn, a journalist and educator who divides her time between St. Petersburg and Paris.

“We’re aware of that, and we have made an effort to seek out more of those conservative voices.”

This year’s films are Unsettled: Seeking Refuge in America, by Tom Shepard; Sweet Home Monteverde, by Robin Truesdale; and Ahead of Time: The Extraordinary Journey of Ruth Gruber, by Bob Richman.

Authors François Savatier, Bruce Eberle, Ann Sussman and Ellen Prager will also discuss their books and serve on panels throughout the week.

To observe what St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman has dubbed “International Week,” the conference will host additional artistic and culinary events at local businesses Sunday through Friday.

Parkshore Grill, The Hangar, 400 Beach and 400 Annex will serve international menus Monday through Friday to guests who mention their attendance at the conference.

Seligsohn said the additions are part of a larger initiative to make the conference more accessible and inclusive.

In November, St. Petersburg in the World hosted a mini-conference on artificial intelligence at the Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital Research and Education Building. The featured speaker, Nicholas Sabouret, also spoke to students attending Lakewood High School and Shorecrest Preparatory School.

This year, two conference speakers — Bellamy and Pierre Guerlain, professor emeritus of American Studies at Université Paris-Nanterre, France — will also speak to teachers at Countryside High School in Clearwater on Monday during the school district’s professional development day.

“Because the (conference) events are mostly during the day and during the week, you tend to have an older, retired audience,” Seligsohn said. “If we can’t get the students to the conference, maybe we can bring at least some of the conference to the students.”

Since 2013, when the conference began as a one-day, 10-panel event that drew 200 attendees, it has sought to contextualize international affairs across the political spectrum.

“If we don’t make people at least a little bit uncomfortable, then we’re not doing our job,” Smith said. “What we don’t want to see is people simply coming to the conference, expecting to have their preconceptions reaffirmed.”

Emily Wunderlich is editor-in-chief of The Crow’s Nest, the student newspaper at USF St. Petersburg. Reach her at (941) 224-1526.

• • •

If you go

• The St. Petersburg Conference on World Affairs is free and open to the public Feb. 18-21; advance registration is encouraged.
  • For registration, schedule and list of speakers, visit stpetersburgconferenceonworldaffairs.com/.
  • Parking available at the nearby Mahaffey Theater, 100 Fourth Ave. S, for $10 (cash only). Guests with disabilities can park in any handicapped space on campus with a visible handicap tag. They also can park in any non-handicap spot for four hours with a handicap tag.
  • There are a number of metered parking spaces around campus and downtown, and guests can take the downtown Looper from the Sundial, South Core and MAACH parking garages.
  • Keynote address: 5 p.m. Tuesday, Carol Bellamy, Palladium Theater, 253 Fifth Ave. N
  • Post-keynote concert: 8 p.m. Tuesday, the Chuchito Valdes Trio, Palladium Theater. Tickets: mypalladium.org/chuchito-valdes-trio-2/.
  • Panels and other events: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, University Student Center and Kate Tiedemann College of Business, USF St. Petersburg, 200 Sixth Ave. S
  • Closing address: 7 p.m. Friday, retired Army Gen. John Nicholson, Fox Hall at Eckerd College, 4200 54th Ave. S
  • Closing reception: 8:30 p.m. Friday, Horse Soldier Bourbon Distillery, 2232 Fifth Ave. S, with performances by Elona Krasavtseva and Nina Wegmann

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

1. Chicken and vegetable dumplings with soy sauce were offered to students to test during the 2nd Annual Student Food Connection taste-testing, Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at Pinellas Technical College. Twenty-eight new food items were tested and rated.  Some will be added to next year's school menus.
  2. Jarvis Delon West was arrested for child neglect after failing to report an employee at AMI Kids who slammed a boy to the ground, according to police
  3. Patrick Suiters, 10, left, and Gabriel Stanford, 9, both fourth-graders at San Jose Elementary School in Dunedin, fill out a survey after tasting falafel tots and nuggets during the 2nd Annual Student Food Connection taste test at Pinellas Technical College. About 120 students tasted and rated 28 new food items that could be added to school breakfast and lunch menus next year.
  4. The Pinellas County school system is offering driver education camps to hundreds of students like this one over the summer. The program will be held over two sessions at nine high school campuses across the county.
  5. Incoming Superintendent Addison Davis (center) and School Board Chair Melissa Snively (right) sign Davis' contract with the Hillsborough County School District after it was unanimously approved by the school board on February 18, 2020.
  6. The attendance zones for Northwest, Gulf Highlands and Fox Hollow elementary schools would shift under a proposed rezoning that also includes the closing of Hudson Elementary.
  7. Incoming Hillsborough School Superintendent Addison Davis (center), School Board Chair Melissa Snively (right) and the other board members pose as Davis signs his contract with the district on Tuesday night. The board unanimously approved the contract beforehand.
  8. Jarvis Delon West was arrested on child neglect charges after he didn't report an employee at AMI Kids who slammed a boy to the ground, according to police.
  9. Associate professor of biology Caitlin Gille leads the Pasco-Hernando State College faculty union, which challenged the school's public comment rules.  (Photo Courtesy of Caitlin Gille)
  10. Prekindergarten students at James B. Sanderlin IB World School in St. Petersburg, show the peace sign during an assembly in 2012. New state data show children in prekindergarten are better prepared for kindergarten than those who don't attend.
  11. Leon County fifth-grader Ingrid Hanley asks the Senate Education Committee not to adopt legislation that would get tougher on D-rated schools, during a Feb. 17, 2020, session.
  12. Nadia King, 6, is smiles for a photo. The special-needs student was taken from school Feb. 4 and placed in a mental health facility under Florida's Baker Act, and now her mother and a team of attorneys are asking why.