April Gillyard is returning to Memorial Middle, a school she led successfully before taking a job in the district’s Transformation Schools office. Jesse Salters is leaving Blake High, a school that weathered public criticism about the way it responded to sexual harassment complaints.
And James Elementary, the district’s only F school, is getting its fourth principal since 2017.
In all, Hillsborough County school superintendent Addison Davis announced 32 leadership changes Tuesday, with 20 schools getting new principals.
The following new hires and transfers were made, effective at the end of the school year:
- Salters will move from Blake to Aparicio-Levy, a technical college for adult students.
- Andrea Cummings will lead Barrington Middle, taking a promotion from the assistant principal’s position at East Bay High.
- Brent Williams will become the principal of Benito Middle, moving from Memorial Middle. He will be replaced by the returning Gillyard.
- Jamal Cook will be principal of Buchanan Middle, promoted from an assistant principal job at Hill Middle.
- Johan von Ancken will leave the principal’s position at Dowdell Middle for a district position as executive director of high schools.
- Nathan Francis will become principal of Eisenhower Middle, promoted from assistant principal at Bloomingdale High.
- Kelly King, now the principal of Hillsborough High, will become executive officer of the district’s Office of Professional Standards.
- Kimberly Jahn will become principal of Monroe Middle. She is now principal of the Dorothy Thomas Exceptional Center.
- Elise Suarez, the former principal of Westchase Elementary, is transferring to nearby Bryant Elementary.
- Todd Connolly will become principal of Chiles elementary, moving from Riverhills Elementary. Replacing him at Riverhills is Crystal Brown, who is leaving Temple Terrace Elementary.
- Jesha Womack has been named principal of Dawson Elementary School. She is being promoted from assistant principal. Dawson lost principal Derrick McLaughlin in late 2021 to criminal charges. He is accused of sending a sexually explicit text to someone he thought was 15. He pleaded not guilty.
- Bradley Fuller will be principal of Doby Elementary. Previously he was assistant principal of Corr Elementary.
- Louis Murphy, the district’s former director of early childhood education, will be the new principal at James Elementary.
- Melissa Babanats will be principal of Lewis Elementary, transferring from Folsom Elementary.
- Kevin Martin will be principal of Mintz Elementary, transferring from Lithia Springs Elementary.
- Timothy Delgado will be principal of Robinson Elementary, promoted from an assistant principal’s position at Yates Elementary.
- Maryann Lippek will be principal of Schmidt Elementary, moving from Tampa Palms Elementary.
- Renel Mathurin will be principal of Seffner Elementary, leaving Shaw Elementary. Sarah Garcia will replace Mathurin at Shaw, leaving Lanier Elementary.
- Melanie Cochrane will be principal of Stowers Elementary, leaving McDonald Elementary.