• Nov. 15: Great American Teach-In.
• Nov. 17: Progress reports.
• Nov. 18-26: Thanksgiving.
• Saint Leo University, 33701 State Road 52, St. Leo, is hosting two free, educational offerings to help middle school students develop their confidence and enjoyment of mathematics.
Math Circle will be from 6 to 7 p.m. every Thursday in Lewis Hall, Room 131, under the direction of professor Monika Kiss. The program features hands-on and fun activities to help middle school students enjoy mathematics. The sessions also boost childrens' confidence.
Saint Leo is also acting as a host site for the American Mathematics Competition, a national competition developed by the Mathematical Association of America. Its purpose is to help middle school students develop positive attitudes about mathematics and analytical thinking by allowing them to apply their classroom learning to a 25-question, multiple-choice exam given in a friendly environment. Saint Leo is able to accommodate 30 students. Mathematics faculty will monitor the test, which will be given at 5:45 p.m. Nov. 14, in TECO Hall in the School of Business building. Students have 40 minutes to complete the test and can learn more about it at maa.org/math-competitions/amc-8. To participate in either program, or for more information, contact mathematics Kiss at email@example.com or call (352) 588-8836.
• The Gulf High School and Land O'Lakes High School International Baccalaureate programs are hosting IB Community Information Nights for prospective applicants seeking ninth-grade admission for the 2018-19 school year. Parents and guardians of current eighth-grade public, charter and private school students are invited, as well as families of students in other grades wanting information about IB opportunities.
The Gulf High IB program serves schools whose legal residence is zoned for these Pasco County high schools: Anclote, Fivay, Gulf, Hudson, Mitchell, Ridgewood and River Ridge. The Land O'Lakes IB program serves students whose legal residence is zoned for one of these high schools: Land O'Lakes, Sunlake, Wiregrass Ranch, Wesley Chapel, Cypress Creek, Pasco and Zephyrhills. Transportation to and from school is available through local and satellite bus locations.
The Information Nights for the Gulf High IB program will be at 6 p.m. on the following dates:
Nov. 6: Bayonet Point Middle, 1125 Little Road, New Port Richey.
Nov. 9: Seven Springs Middle, 2441 Little Road, New Port Richey.
Nov. 16: Gulf High, 5535 School Road, New Port Richey.
The Information Nights for the Land O'Lakes High IB will be at 6:30 p.m. on the following dates:
Nov. 7: Weightman Middle (cafeteria), 230649 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel.
Nov. 14: Dr. John Long Middle, 2025 Mansfield Blvd., Wesley Chapel.