TAMPA — Blake High School will get a new principal Tuesday. And so could at least 10 other Hillsborough County schools.
Promotions, retirements and transfers are behind appointments the School Board will be asked to approve at Tuesday's 3 p.m. meeting.
Large numbers of principal moves often happen in the summer, after school grades and teacher survey results are released.
But sometimes they happen midyear, and changes in school district leadership are factors in some of the moves.
For example: Broward Elementary and Hill Middle schools are getting new principals because their last principals, Terry Hawthorne and Jacquelyn Scaglione, were named human resource partners, a new position in the district.
More changes could be revealed Tuesday, said district spokesman Stephen Hegarty, as candidate interviews are still under way this week.
In addition to Hawthorne at Broward and Scaglione at Hill, here are the principals who will be replaced:
• Blake principal Jacquelyn Haynes, who was promoted to the job of principal coach.
• Lewis Elementary principal Kristin Tonelli, who is also becoming a principal coach.
• West Tampa Elementary principal Gloria Waite, also a principal coach.
• Tampa Palms Elementary principal Kimberly Keenan, who was named the district's supervisor of elementary reading and language arts.
• Colson Elementary principal Karen Lynch, who is retiring.
• Lutz Elementary principal Mary Fernandez, retiring.
• Lanier Elementary principal Rebecca Sargable, who is taking a transfer to become principal of Collins Elementary.
• Now headed by Nancy Mooy, Tinker Elementary is being converted to a K-8 school so it can serve a greater number of MacDill Air Force Base children. It was not clear Tuesday if Mooy was a candidate.
• Apollo Beach principal Barbara Mercer, who is being transferred to an administrative call center.
Call Marlene Sokol at (813) 226-3356 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow @marlenesokol