Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7381.
• River Ridge High drama presents High School Musical at 7 p.m. Oct. 17-18 and 2 p.m. Oct. 18-19. For tickets, call (727) 774-7200.
• J.W. Mitchell High drama presents Bed and Breakfast and Thespian Showcase at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 23-25. For tickets, call (727) 774-9200.
• Dallas Children's Theatre presents The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley at 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 27. Grades K-5. $5.
• J.W. Mitchell High band concert, 7 p.m. Oct. 27.
• River Ridge Middle band concert, 7 p.m. Oct. 28.
Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road. (813) 794-8772.
• Wesley Chapel High drama comedy presentation, 7 p.m. Oct. 16-17.
• John Long Middle band and orchestra concert, 7 p.m. Oct. 23.
• Dallas Children's Theatre presents The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley at 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 28. Grades K-5. $5.
• The Florida Orchestra performs for students at 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 29. $6.
• Tweens Banned Book Movie, 2 p.m. Saturday at Centennial Park Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday. To celebrate Banned Books Week, the library will show a movie based on a banned book. There will be popcorn. Call the library at (727) 834-3204 to find out the movie title. For grades 4-7. For information on Pasco County Library events held at all branches, go to pascolibraries.org. For information on events held at the New Port Richey Public Library, go to nprlibrary.org.
• Marchman Technical Education Center and Metropolitan Ministries are offering a GED prep course from 8 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Metropolitan Ministries Pasco County Outreach Center, 3214 U.S. 19, Holiday. This semester's class registration closes Oct. 1. The GED prep class progress can be completed at each student's pace in one semester or over multiple semesters. Each semester of instruction costs $30, but those with financial need may be eligible to receive a partial scholarship from Metropolitan Ministries. Prospective students can register in person at MTEC, 7815 Campus Drive, New Port Richey, or contact Cindy Carson at (727) 271-0174 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wiregrass High hosts the ACT Princeton Review practice test and strategy session from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday. The fee is $15 if paid by today; $20 at the door.
• Wiregrass Ranch High Senior Seminar/Parent Night will be 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. There will be information on college applications, scholarships and financial aid.
• Oct. 9 is the deadline to register for the SAT to be administered on Nov. 8. Late registration (with fees) is Oct. 28. Go to sat.collegeboard.org.
• Short Story Writing Contest: Sponsored by Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education and the University of South Florida Humanities Institute. Students in grades 9-12 are invited to submit a short story on one of several "alternate history" themes. The deadline is Oct. 6. The grand prize winner will receive $100 and a plaque presented by Dr. Elizabeth Bird, director of the University of South Florida Humanities Institute, publication of the winning story on the Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education and USF Humanities Institute websites and an invitation to read the winning story as a presenting author at the 22nd annual Tampa Bay Times Festival of Reading. Find the complete rules and an entry form at tampabay.com/nie/ alternatetimescontest.
Follow what’s happening in Tampa Bay schools
Subscribe to our free Gradebook newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
• Oct. 15 is the deadline to apply for the Barnes Scholarships for college-bound teens who are high academic achievers, have overcome significant obstacles in their lives and have financial need. Each of the four winners is eligible to receive up to $15,000 a year for four years to attend any nationally accredited college or university. The students must be enrolled full time and remain in good academic standing to continue to receive the scholarship. Apply at tampabay.com/company/times-fund/scholarships.
Send your school news to email@example.com.