• The Sydney Has a Sister Scholarship Foundation will host a silent auction fundraiser from 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday at Beef O'Brady's Wilderness Lake Preserve, 7040 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes. Auction items include golf packages, date nights, hotel stays, spa packages and more. Bidding closes at 8:30 p.m. Proceeds will go toward funding scholarships for high school seniors who have siblings with autism. For more information, go to www.sydneyhasasister.com.
• Comic Book Heroes & Villains, 2 p.m. Saturday at the South Holiday Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive. Get ready for National Comic Book Day (Sept. 25) with crafts and activities, and come dressed as your favorite character for extra fun. For information on Pasco County Library events held at all branches, go to pascolibraries.org. For information on events held at the New Port Richey Public Library, go to nprlibrary.org.
• Tony Jannus Essay Contest: Sponsored by the Tony Jannus Society and Southwest Airlines. Florida students in grades 9-12 may submit an essay on one of several aviation themes. The deadline is Sept. 29. The grand prize winner will receive a trip to Tampa for the award presentation for the student, a teacher and one other guest; three round-trip airline tickets from a Florida city to any destination served by the airline; plus a $600 spending allowance. Find the complete rules and an entry form at www.tonyjannusaward.com/essays/.
• Medical Center of Trinity Third Annual "Expressions of Thanks" Youth Art Contest. Students in grades kindergarten through 12 can submit artwork, poetry or an essay that says thank you to veterans and members of the military. Original artwork must be on an 8 ½-by-11-inch sheet of white paper with the student's name, grade and school printed clearly on the back. Artwork must be hand-drawn (no Internet art). The deadline is Sept. 30. Drop entries off at Medical Center of Trinity in person from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the main entrance information desk, or mail to Medical Center of Trinity, Attention: Youth Art Contest, 9330 State Road 54, Trinity, FL 34655. Participants and their families are invited to a reception at 1 p.m. Nov. 9, when certificates/prizes will be awarded and artwork will be on display.
• Short Story Writing Contest: Sponsored by Tampa Bay Times Newspapers in Education and the University of South Florida Humanities Institute. Students in grades 9-12 are invited to submit a short story on one of several "alternate history" themes. The deadline is Oct. 6. The grand prize winner will receive $100 and a plaque presented by Dr. Elizabeth Bird, director of the USF Humanities Institute, publication of the winning story on the Tampa Bay Times Newspapers in Education and USF Humanities Institute websites and an invitation to read the winning story as a presenting author at the 22nd Annual Times Festival of Reading. Find the complete rules and an entry form at www.tampabay.com/nie/AlternateTimesContest/.
Follow what’s happening in Tampa Bay schools
Subscribe to our free Gradebook newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
Send your school news to firstname.lastname@example.org.