Oct. 17: End of the first grading quarter.
Oct. 20: Teacher planning day. No school for students.
Oct. 27: Report cards.
• The Tarpon Springs Outdoor Music Festival for marching bands, will be Oct. 18 at Tarpon Springs High, 1141 Gulf Road, Tarpon Springs. Admission: $15 for adults; $8 for students 13 and up; $5 children 12 and under. Parking is free. For information, go to tarponspringsband.com/festival/index.htm.
• Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey (727) 774-7381.
• River Ridge High drama presents High School Musical at 7 p.m. Oct. 17-18 and 2 p.m. Oct. 18-19. For tickets call (727) 774-7200.
• J.W. Mitchell High drama presents Bed and Breakfast and Thespian Showcase at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 23-25. For tickets call (727) 774-9200.
• Dallas Children's Theatre presents The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley at 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 27. Grades K-5. $5.
• J.W. Mitchell High band concert, 7 p.m. Oct. 27.
• River Ridge Middle band concert, 7 p.m. Oct. 28.
• Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road. (813) 794-8772.
• Wesley Chapel High drama comedy presentation, 7 p.m. Oct. 16-17.
• John Long Middle band and orchestra concert, 7 p.m. Oct. 23.
• Dallas Children's Theatre presents The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley at 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 28. Grades K-5. $5.
• The Florida Orchestra performs for students at 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 29. $6.
• The Tampa Bay Times Newspapers in Education program and the National Alliance on Mental Illness Pasco present "Mental Illness in the Classroom," a free workshop for teachers of grades 6-12, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 16 at NAMI Pasco, Jallo Plaza, 6480 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes. Educators will learn to recognize early signs of mental illness and substance abuse in adolescents, understand how best to intervene and use informational text to address difficult topics in the classroom. There will be presentations by mental health advocates, education professionals and Florida Standards experts; complementary curriculum supplements and handouts; strategies for close reading, writing activities and document-based questions. Teachers will receive a certificate of attendance. Space is limited. Deadline is Oct. 10. Register online at tampabay.com/nie.
• Oct. 9 is the deadline to register for the SAT to be administered Nov. 8. Late registration (with fees) is Oct. 28. sat.collegeboard.org.
• Oct. 15 is the deadline to apply for the Barnes Scholarships to help college-bound teens who are high academic achievers, who have overcome significant obstacles in their lives and who have financial need. Each of the four winners is eligible to receive up to $15,000 per year for four years to attend any nationally accredited college or university. Students must be enrolled full-time and stay in good academic standing to continue to receive the scholarship. Apply at www.tampabay.com/company/times-fund/scholarships.
Send your school news to email@example.com