Florida’s 2022 general election will be held Tuesday, Nov. 8. Here are the candidates running for office in major races across Tampa Bay and where they stand on key issues.
The Tampa Bay Times surveyed more than 80 local candidates in more than 40 races across Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco counties, so you can be informed before sending in your ballot or hitting the polls.
Among the elections covered in this guide:
- Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, is running for reelection against former Republican governor and former Democratic U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist.
- Incumbent Republican U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio is facing a challenge by Democratic U.S. Rep. Val Demings, a former Orlando police chief.
- Tampa Bay voters will choose congressional representatives in Districts 12 (Gus Bilirakis vs. Kimberly Walker), 13 (Anna Paulina Luna vs. Eric Lynn and Frank Craft), 14 (James Judge vs. Kathy Castor), 15 (Laurel Lee vs. Alan Cohn) and 16 (Vern Buchanan vs. Jan Schneider).
We’ve also interviewed candidates all around Tampa Bay running for state attorney, county commissions and school boards.
Florida’s districts have been redrawn this year. Following the 2020 census count, Florida has one extra (28th) congressional district, and the maps for both the Florida Senate and Florida House have been redrawn. See what your new district is — and how it has voted in the past. To find all the races on your individual ballot, visit the Supervisor of Elections website for your county (Hillsborough, Pinellas or Pasco).
The information on the candidates on this page comes straight from Tampa Bay Times reporters and, if they answered our questions, from the candidates themselves.
If you’d like advice on who to vote for, check out the recommendations from the Times Editorial Board. (They had no input on this voter guide, and reporters have no prior knowledge of or input on their recommendations.)
How to use this guide:
- Make sure you’re using a modern internet browser. (If you are viewing this story via our mobile app, click here.)
- Tap or swipe side-to-side to choose which question to read. In each race, we start with a short biography of the candidates and end with their campaign fundraising and personal finance information.
- Tap the name of any race or candidate to collapse it if you’re not interested. Tap it again to re-expand it.
- Note that this doesn’t show every single race on the ballot. Voters may also be able to vote in elections for local judges.
Campaign finance and financial disclosure data are as of September and are only comparable between candidates in the same race.
Web production by Data Editor Langston Taylor. Times staff writers Barbara Behrendt, Bernadette Berdychowski, C.T. Bowen, Juan Carlos Chavez, Matt Cohen, Hannah Critchfield, Anastasia Dawson, Romy Ellenbogen, Jack Evans, Charlie Frago, Olivia George, Ian Hodgson, Rebecca Liebson, Emily L. Mahoney, Tony Marrero, Lawrence Mower, Michaela Mulligan, Christopher O’Donnell, Sam Ogozalek, Lauren Peace, Jeffrey S. Solochek, Natalie Weber, Kirby Wilson and Colleen Wright contributed reporting.
We’re working hard to bring you the latest news on the elections in Florida. This effort takes a lot of resources to gather and update. If you haven’t already subscribed, please consider buying a print or digital subscription. Or click here to make a donation to the Tampa Bay Times Journalism Fund.