Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at tampabay.com/coronavirus. Please consider subscribing or donating.

1. News
  2. /
  3. Gradebook

Florida education news: Restraint and seclusion, FAFSA forms and Holocaust memories

A roundup of stories from around the state.

SHOW SOME RESTRAINT: For more than a decade, Florida lawmakers have toyed with the idea of stopping schools from using the controversial practice of restraining or secluding students with special needs who get out of control. One of the biggest stumbling blocks has been educators who say they need some way to protect the students, and themselves, when the children get violent. Is this year the one they find a compromise?

MEMORIES: Hillsborough County schools superintendent Jeff Eakins is about to retire after three decades in the district. Remember when he used to be a teacher? Let a time capsule his first school buried in the 1990s help.

STUDENT VOICES: Should schools give their students excused absences to participate in public protests? A Duval County School Board member says it could encourage more civic understanding, WJXT reports.

EVERYWHERE A FORM: State Sen. Janet Cruz has proposed requiring all high school seniors fill out the FAFSA to receive their diploma. She says it would help teens understand there’s money available to help them go to college, which otherwise might be unattainable. Some of her colleagues aren’t thrilled about the idea, though, WFSU reports.

SECURITY: After a short delay to change some wording and financial aspects, a bill to mandate panic alarms in all public schools is headed to the state Senate floor, Florida Politics reports.

BAKER ACT: Recent reports have shown a rise in school use of the Baker Act. State lawmakers are poised to adopt legislation to turn that trend around, the News Service of Florida reports.

NEVER AGAIN: Florida senators advance legislation to require lessons about anti-Semitism in public schools. A Holocaust survivor encouraged them to act, Florida Phoenix reports.

STILL NO REPORTED CASES: But school districts continue to prepare for a possible coronavirus outbreak, TC Palm reports. More from Florida Today, Flagler Live.

FINANCES: The Polk County School Board is talking about asking voters to increase the local tax rate. Maybe its latest audit report will help convince them, the Ledger reports.

HELPING HANDS: The Duval County school district seeks volunteers to teach Junior Achievement lessons in classrooms, the Florida Times-Union reports.

GO TO SCHOOL: Alachua County school district officials say student attendance rates are shockingly low. What are they doing to improve it? WUFT reports.

TODAY: The calendar’s pretty open. Have a great day!

ICYMI: Yesterday’s Florida education news roundup

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE