Bridging the digital divide, one school hotspot at a time.

A roundup of Florida education news from around the state.

The Pasco County school district will send buses into five school parking lots to offer boosted internet Wi-Fi to families that can't get service at home.
The Pasco County school district will send buses into five school parking lots to offer boosted internet Wi-Fi to families that can't get service at home. [ PAUL GUZZO | Times ]
Published May 6, 2020

When it comes to distance learning, districts like to talk about their participation rates of 90 percent and higher. But they’re also trying not to lose track of the students who aren’t logging in. The Marion County school district is looking for them, and can’t find hundreds of kids. The Pasco district has joined others in providing new ways to get online, if students and their families are willing and able. Read on for those stories and more Florida education news.

Florida still has digital deserts. The Pasco County school district is using buses to boost the signal.

Final edition. Her senior year cut short, this Hillsborough High senior did all she could to get out one last run of her school newspaper.

Cuts are coming. Pasco County School Board members raise concerns that shrinking revenue might lead to layoffs and other reductions.

Want to start saving for college but can’t find the resources? Florida Prepaid is offering extra time to start a plan.

Want more coronavirus news? The Tampa Bay Times is providing all its latest stories about the pandemic online free of charge as a public service. You always could subscribe, too.

A soon-to-be fifth grader completes his work during an English Language Arts class on the first day of Summer Bridge at Maximo Elementary School.
A soon-to-be fifth grader completes his work during an English Language Arts class on the first day of Summer Bridge at Maximo Elementary School. [ DIRK SHADD | Tampa Bay Times ]

Summer learning. Schools across Florida and the nation explore summer school options, Education Dive reports. One big question: Will kids come if it’s just more online learning?

And what about the fall? ‘All options are on the table,’ Leon County district officials tell the Tallahassee Democrat. • Sarasota County district leaders say the ‘crystal ball remains cloudy,’ the Herald-Tribune reports. • The American Enterprise Institute has offered some ideas about what to do.

Testing won’t be optional. Florida’s universities will continue to require an SAT or ACT score for admission, the Orlando Sentinel reports. Some students had requested a waiver.

Where’d they go? About 2 percent of Marion County students can’t be located, the Ocala Star-Banner reports.

Surprise! Forget about the teachers parading past their students’ neighborhoods. These Bay County second graders gathered to greet their teacher on her first trip away from home in six weeks, the Panama City News-Herald reports.

Come and get your stuff. Florida college and university students finally get instructions on how to retrieve their belongings from campus, Orlando Weekly reports.

Terminated. The Broward County School Board fires a teacher with a long history of sexual harassment complaints against him, WPLG reports.

Did you miss yesterday’s news? Here’s the link.

Before you go ... It’s teacher appreciation week, and the Manatee County school district got some famous names to join in the celebration. District officials paid from their own pockets to get the well wishers, the Herald-Tribune reports. I still can’t believe someone I talked to didn’t know who Brandi Chastain is.

To keep up on the latest stories from around Florida, visit the Tampa Bay Times Gradebook. Join our daily Facebook conversation to share your views. And be sure to share this roundup with your friends and colleagues. Know someone who might want to sign up for the Gradebook newsletter? Share this link. We want to hear your remote learning survival stories. Send an e-mail to jsolochek@tampabay.com. - Jeff