A number of public COVID-19 test sites have opened throughout the Tampa Bay area in the past couple months.
Most are a drive-thru style where people wait in their cars and a medical professional uses a long swab to collect a sample from the patient’s nose. Many are free, but some do require people provide insurance information or payment after the fact.
Several sites are requiring people to make appointments beforehand. Wait times for results vary, but range from three to 12 days based on the site, laboratory and current demand.
Here are the criteria, hours and protocol for each test site. This information will change depending on the supply of tests and the latest government orders. Providers with an asterisk operate in multiple counties.
Hillsborough County drive-thru test sites
Monday through Saturday, based on appointments
- Raymond James Stadium, 4201 N Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa
- Lee Davis Community Resource Center, 3402 N 22nd St., Tampa
- Plant City Community Resource Center, 307 N Michigan Ave., Plant City
- SouthShore Community Resource Center, 201 14th Ave. SE, Ruskin
- Suncoast Community Health Centers, 313 S. Lakewood Drive, Brandon
- Redeemer Lutheran Church, 701 Valley Forge Blvd., Sun City Center
- Wimauma Opportunity Center, 5128 SR 674
- You must make an appointment in advance either online at www.hcflgov.net/covidtesting or call the county’s main information line at (813) 272-5900. Anyone who wants to get tested can get a test. The test is free. No doctor’s referral is needed, and insurance is not required.
Pinellas Department of Health drive-thrus
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Location provided once appointment is scheduled
An appointment is required and can be made by calling 727-824-6900. The test is free to patients, regardless of insurance.
Pinellas Community Health Centers drive-thrus
Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to noon. Clearwater is by appointment only.
- 707 East Druid Road, Clearwater
- 7550 43rd Street North, Pinellas Park
- 1344 22nd Street South, St. Petersburg
Appointments are not required except for Clearwater, but can be made calling 727-824-8181 and selecting option 0 or visiting www.chcpinellas.org
Mahaffey Theater drive-thru
11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Keep up with Tampa Bay’s top headlines
Subscribe to our free DayStarter newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
Duke Energy for the Arts Mahaffey Theater parking garage, 400 First Street SE
You need not be a Pinellas resident to get tested and no insurance information is necessary. Identification and a phone number will be requested. No appointments are being taken. Testing will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Manatee County drive-thru and walk-ups
Daily, 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.., or until daily supplies run out.
- The Mall at University Town Center, 140 University Town Center Drive, Sarasota. Drive-thru.
- Lincoln Park, 501 17th Street East, Palmetto. Walk-up.
- Home Depot, 2350 Cortez Road, Bradenton. Walk-up.
Testing is available to anyone older than 18, regardless of symptoms, and is free to the public. Children under 18 can be tested at the Lincoln Park site, which is open until 6 p.m. daily. The mall site tests a maximum of 750 people per day and may close earlier than 5 p.m. if that number is reached. The Lincoln Park site has a capacity of 200 per day; Home Depot, 100 a day.
*CVS self-swab drive-thrus
The sites typically operate from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., based on appointments.
- 520 First Street W, Bradenton
- 4302 Cortez Road W, Bradenton
- 715 Brandon Blvd., Brandon
- 1899 N Highland Ave., Clearwater
- 1 South Missouri Ave., Clearwater
- 20287 U.S. 19, Clearwater
- 4000 East Bay Drive, Clearwater
- 2175 Main Street, Dunedin
- 5010 South Florida Ave., Lakeland
- 8905 Bryan Dairy Road, Largo
- 2322 Land O’ Lakes Blvd., Lutz
- 15129 Madeira Way, Madeira Beach
- 3771 Tampa Road, Oldsmar
- 5905 U.S. 301, Riverview
- 8001 Ninth Street N, St. Petersburg
- 7351 W Hillsborough Ave., Tampa
- 8809 New Tampa Blvd., Tampa
- 4401 W Gandy Blvd., Tampa
- 2911 E Fowler Ave., Tampa
- 5357 Ehrlich Road, Tampa
- 4120 #2 Henderson Blvd., Tampa
- 611 S Howard Ave., Tampa
- 1000 E Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs
CVS is making testing available to anyone experiencing symptoms who meets the requirements listed on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Patients must first book appointments by visiting CVS.com.
The Tampa Bay stores have the capacity to test up to 50 people a day. All testing will take place inside a person’s car. No walk-ups will be accepted and no testing will take place inside stores.
*BayCare Health Systems drive-thru test sites
8 a.m. to 11 a.m., Monday through Friday. The Polk site is only open Monday, Wednesday and Friday. All three sites will be closed Friday, July 3.
- Pasco: Gulf High School, 5255 School Road, Port Richey.
- Polk: Bartow Regional Medical Center, 2200 Osprey Blvd.
- Pinellas: 1 Tropicana Drive, St. Petersburg. Hours will be 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. for the week of June 29 through July 2.
A doctor’s referral is encouraged. If not, you will be screened while in line to see if you meet requirements from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For patients without insurance, the cost of the COVID-19 lab test is $85. Payment is not due at testing. BayCare is working with government agencies to secure funding for patients that are unable to pay.
• • •
Tampa Bay Times coronavirus coverage
HOW CORONAVIRUS IS SPREADING IN FLORIDA: Find the latest numbers for your county, city or zip code.
SO YOU WANT TO LEAVE YOUR HOUSE? Read these 10 tips first
UNEMPLOYMENT Q&A: We answer your questions about Florida unemployment benefits
GET THE DAYSTARTER MORNING UPDATE: Sign up to receive the most up-to-date information.
HAVE A TIP?: Send us confidential news tips
We’re working hard to bring you the latest news on the coronavirus in Florida. This effort takes a lot of resources to gather and update. If you haven’t already subscribed, please consider buying a print or digital subscription.