Advertisement
  1. Health

Trauma case files

Published Mar. 9, 2014

traumatic fees

Orange Park Medical Center

Clay County

For-profit, HCA

A 13-year-old boy went to the hospital after a car accident. He was diagnosed with a superficial wound on his forehead and sent home two hours later. His actual medical treatment was priced at $6,871. But Orange Park billed an additional $21,000 for the trauma reponse fee.

$28,592

Total charges

$21,721

Trauma fee

Orlando Regional Medical Center

Orange County

Private, not-for-profit

An uninsured 36-year-old man got cut in an assault. His medical care, including skull X-rays and immunizations, added up to $1,860 for a two-hour hospital visit. But the trauma fee quadrupled his total bill.

$8,230

Total charges

$6,370

Trauma fee

UF Health Shands Hospital

Alachua County

Private, not-for-profit

After a car accident, a 54-year-old man went to the trauma center complaining of lower back and joint pain. Five hours later, he went home with $1,561 in charges for medical care. But that made up only 14 percent of his bill. The other 86 percent? Just his trauma fee.

$11,396

Total charges

$9,835

Trauma fee

Blake Medical Center

Manatee County

For-profit, HCA

A 68-year-old man fell from a ladder, scraping his arm and foot and cutting his hand. He spent three hours in the hospital and had his bill more than doubled by a $29,000 fee for trauma team activation.

$52,137

Total charges

$29,000

Trauma fee

Broward Health Medical Center

Broward County

Public, not-for-profit

A 7-year-old boy injured his head playing sports. He was taken to a trauma center, but records show no procedures were done to him. In fact, he would have had just $544 in ER fees were it not for the trauma response fee that inflated his bill more than 10-fold.

$5,442

Total charges

$4,898

Trauma fee

Lawnwood Regional Medical Center

St. Lucie County

For-profit, HCA

After getting cut in an assault, a 51-year-old man went to the hospital with a superficial wound in his shoulder blade area. Treated and released in an hour, his trauma fee inflated his bill more than six-fold.

$39,289

Total charges

$32,767

Trauma fee

Delray Medical Center

Palm Beach County

For-profit, Tenet

A 15-year-old boy burned his fingers, knee and leg. He spent two hours in the hospital, where he was given non-prescription drugs that cost $11. The stay itself would have cost $1,856 were it not for a trauma fee that made up 87 percent of his bill.

$14,356

Total charges

$12,500

Trauma fee

Lakeland Regional Medical Center

Polk County

Private, not-for-profit

After an assault, a 25-year-old man with superficial wounds on his face and hand got stitched up and sent home in three hours. The medical charges added up to $3,255. He racked up a $10,000 cover charge, however, the moment he entered the trauma hospital.

Keep up with Tampa Bay’s top headlines

Keep up with Tampa Bay’s top headlines

Subscribe to our free DayStarter newsletter

We’ll deliver the latest news and information you need to know every weekday morning.

You’re all signed up!

Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.

Explore all your options

$13,255

Total charges

$10,000

Trauma fee

St. Mary's Medical Center

Palm Beach County

For-profit, Tenet

A 66-year-old woman broke her ankle after being hit by a car. She spent three hours in the hospital, where she got X-rays, lab work, a tetanus shot and a splint. All of that would have added up to $5,221 were it not for a trauma fee that nearly quadrupled her bill.

$20,221

Total charges

$15,000

Trauma fee

Source: Florida Agency for Health Care Administration

Advertisement

This site no longer supports your current browser. Please use a modern and up-to-date browser version for the best experience.

Chrome Firefox Safari Edge