Legislative Delegation hosts annual meeting
The Hernando County Legislative Delegation will conduct its annual public meeting from 1 to 4 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Hernando County Government Center, in Courtroom A on the third floor, 20 N Main St.
The meeting is for residents, elected officials, municipalities, local government and civic organizations to address the delegation before the start of the state Legislature’s 2020 session.
Decisions regarding any local legislation for the 2020 Legislative Session will be made at this time. All proposals for local bills are to be presented at this public meeting and accompanied by a resolution from local government supporting the proposed legislation. Information may be sent to Sen. Wilton Simpson’s office, 4076 Commercial Way, Spring Hill, FL 34606 by noon Nov. 8.
Those who would like to be on the printed agenda must contact Simpson’s office by noon Nov. 8 at firstname.lastname@example.org or (352) 688-5077. Individuals also may complete a speaker’s form on the day of the meeting. Those speaking must submit or bring four copies of all handouts for distribution.AARP chapter hosts various events
AARP Chapter 5445 Hernando County West will host the following:
• Lunch meeting, noon Oct. 18, at IHOP, 3660 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. The topic will be Medicare, presented by Jim McGrath.
• Fall Feast, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 26, at Linda Pedersen Park at Jenkins Creek, 6300 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. This will be a potluck.
• Lunch meeting, noon Nov. 5, at Buffet City, 13235 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. The topic is Toy Makers, presented by Bill Coccia.
• Lunch meeting, noon Nov. 21, at Buffet City. The topic is Thrivent and how a Financial Firm works with Nonprofit Organizations, presented by Jo Moore.
• Christmas party, noon Dec. 10, at Buffet City. Entertainment will be provided by Midlife Crisis.
For further information or to RSVP, call or text to (727) 919-2210.
AARP offers driver safety class to seniors
The AARP Driver Safety Program will be offered at several locations in Hernando County in October and November. The course is open to drivers 50 and older who, upon completion, may receive a discount on their auto insurance premiums. The certificate is valid for three years. The cost is $15 for AARP members (bring membership card) and $20 for nonmembers. Space is limited; preregistration is required.
• 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 24, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 10441 Quality Drive, Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, Spring Hill. Another class will be offered Nov. 7. Call Murray, (904) 535-2999.
• 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 25, Downing Funeral Home, 1214 Wendy Court, Spring Hill. Another class will be offered Nov. 22. Call Dom, (352) 684-2524.
• 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 4 and 5, Salishan Retirement Living, 191 Astaire Lane, Spring Hill. Call Lawrence, (352) 835-7017.
• 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 6, Brooksville Enrichment Center, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville. Call Marge, (352) 678-1533.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Nov. 12 and 14, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call Wayne, (352) 597-9590.
• 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 19, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail, Spring Hill. Call Bill, (352) 556-3050.
Volunteers needed to feed the needy
Jericho Road Ministries is seeking volunteers to help distribute food supplies to the needy at its food distribution barn at 1165 Howell Ave. Assistance is needed with administrative duties and handing out food.
There also is a need for volunteers to help at the Jericho thrift stores in various capacities, such as receiving and sorting donations, as well as tagging furniture, clothing and housewares with price tags.
Jericho is facing pressure due to growing numbers of unemployed and homeless families in the Hernando County area.
Volunteers can help as little as two days a week, from 9 a.m. to noon at the food bank, or any time from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the thrift stores.
Jericho Road Ministries is a Christian-based ministry; pastoral reference is required for all volunteers. For information, contact Hommy Navarro, food services manager, at (352) 799-2912, ext. 112; or Savannah at ext. 110.