Rain barrel workshop offered to residents
Residents are invited to attend a rain barrel workshop at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 31 at the Hernando County Utilities Building, 15365 Cortez Blvd. Advance registration and payment are required. Send a check for $50 made payable to HCUD and write "Rain Barrel Workshop Oct. 31" on the envelope. Hernando County Utilities customers who attend the workshop and install a rain barrel will receive a one-time, $25 credit on their water bill. Bring a vehicle that can accommodate a 55-gallon barrel. Attendance at the workshop is mandatory to purchase a barrel. For information, call (352) 540-6230.
Tickets are available for Navy jazz ensemble
As part of its 2018 tour, the U.S. Navy Band Commodores jazz ensemble will perform at 7 p.m. Nov. 5 at Hernando High School, 700 Bell Ave. The jazz ensemble has been performing the very best of big band jazz for almost 50 years. The concert is family-friendly, entertaining to veterans and those interested in joining the Navy. The performance is free and open to the public. Tickets are available at the school's front desk or at WWJB-AM 1450 radio in Brooksville. For information, call the school at (352) 797-7015, ext. 223.
Sponsors and auction items needed for Fur Ball
The 15th Annual Fur Ball — Having a Ball in Pawgaritaville — will be from 6 to 10 p.m. Nov. 10 at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, south of Brooksville. All proceeds benefit the Humane Society of the Nature Coast. Tickets are $75 per person/$750 for table of 10. The event will include dinner, cash bar, live and silent auction, music and entertainment. Caribbean dress is encouraged. Sponsorships are still available, and silent auction items are still needed. For information, call (352) 796-2711.
Tickets are available for Freedom Fest Florida
SSL Talent & Production will present Freedom Fest Florida — Let Freedom Sing from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Nov. 10 and 11 at Florida Classic Park, 5360 Lockhart Road. The two-day festival will feature live music, food and entertainment. Headliners include Night Ranger on Nov. 10, and Morgan Wallen on Nov. 11. Other performers include: Stonegrey, Jasmine Cain, Broken Heart, Diary of an Ozzman, Mountain Ft. Corky Lang, Stormbringer, Robbie Steinhart, John Hindman, Ally Venable, Southern Rumble, the Alter Eagles, Randy McNeely and Jimmie Allen. The event benefits Wreaths Across America and the Florida National Cemetery. Tickets are $20 (early bird), $25 (advance) and $35 (day of the show) for both days. Children ages 12 and younger are free. VIP tickets are $75 and include dinner, water/soda/beer/wine and a swag bag. Tickets are available at eventliveus.com.
Seafood is star of festival
The Rotary Club of Spring Hill Central will host the Nature Coast Seafood Festival from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 3 at Linda Pedersen Park at Jenkins Creek, 6300 Shoal Line Blvd. The event features seafood vendors, food trucks, live music, arts and crafts, rubber duck derby, dragon boat racing, kayak competition, activities for the children and a VIP tent, plus lots more activities for adults. Special events include the dragon boat competition at noon, craft beer and chocolate pairing at 2 p.m., wine and chocolate pairing at 3 p.m., and light hors d'oeuvres at 4 p.m. Four live bands will provide music from noon to 8 p.m. The dragon boat races will be from noon to 3 p.m., and the rubber duck pageant and race will be from 3 to 4 p.m. Admission is $5 per person, children ages 11 and younger, as well as those served by the Arc Nature Coast are free. Free parking. For information, visit naturecoastseafoodfestival.com.
Ethnic Festival will be Oct. 18-21
St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 13485 Spring Hill Drive, will host its 27th Annual Ethnic Festival Oct. 18-21. The four-day festival will feature a variety of ethnic foods, continuous entertainment, carnival rides, boardwalk, music, demonstrations and a second-hand rose venue. Entertainment includes: Eddie and the Cruzers, Gypsy Star, Serenading the Moon, dancers, karaoke, visits from Princess Belle from Beauty and the Beast and other movie characters. Advanced carnival ride tickets are available at the parish office. Ride tickets for Oct. 18, 19 and 21 are $20 per day; tickets for Oct. 20 are $30. For information, call (352) 688-0663.
Stock market will be topic at AARP
Hernando County West AARP Chapter 5445 will meet at noon Oct. 26 at Buffet City, 13235 Cortez Blvd. The speaker will be Casey Adams who will speak on the state of the stock market. If ordering from the menu, please arrive at 11 a.m. To RSVP, call Bob Howell at (352) 683-9361.
Feast celebrates first American saint
St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church, 5030 Mariner Blvd., will celebrate its sixth-annual Feast of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini Nov. 8-11, beginning with a procession of the statue of Mother Cabrini each day. The event will be open from 4 to 10 p.m. Nov. 8; 4 p.m. to midnight Nov. 9, noon to midnight Nov. 10 and noon to 11 p.m. Nov. 11. There will be rides, arts and crafts, food vendors, a boutique, a talent show and free entertainment. Pre-sale armbands are available at the church office for $15. For information, visit stfrances.org or call (352) 683-9666.
Chamber to host its Residents Reception
The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will host its 18th annual Residents Reception from 5 to 8 p.m. Nov. 2 at the Pasco-Hernando State College Spring Hill Campus, 450 Beverly Court. Residents who have questions about Hernando County schools, law enforcement, roads, local government, health care and where to shop, eat and play are invited. Representatives from the Hernando County Commission, Sheriff’s Office, Property Appraiser’s Office, Tax Collector’s Office, Clerk of Court’s Office, Supervisor of Elections Office, School Board and the city of Brooksville will be in attendance. Local restaurants will offer free samples of signature items. The event is free and open to the public. For information, call the chamber at (352) 796-0697 or visit hernandochamber.com.
Pumpkin Patch benefits Boys and Girls Club
The Boys and Girls Club of Hernando County will host a Pumpkin Patch from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. through Oct. 30 at Westside Elementary School, 5404 Applegate Drive. The event will include games, photo opportunities and, of course, pumpkins. Prices vary. Proceeds benefit the club for much-needed supplies. For information, call (352) 666-0068.
Tea and fashion show benefits auxiliary's projects
The Auxiliary of Marine Corps League Detachment 708 will host a Tea and Fashion Show at 2 p.m. Oct. 28 at the detachment, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road. Fashions will be provided by BonWorth.The event will include gift basket raffles and 50/50 drawing. Tickets are $10 and include tea/refreshments and finger foods. Tickets can be purchased at the door. For information, call (352) 701-0766 or (352) 597-0667.
Church to serve free Thanksgiving dinner
St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church will host its Thanksgiving dinner — with help from members of Knights of Columbus Council 13209 — at 1 p.m. Nov. 22 in the church's Xavier Hall. The dinner is free and open to those unable to provide a meal for themselves, to those who will be alone on the holiday and to immediate families of active-duty military members. For information, call Bob Jost at (352) 345-1826.
VENDORS ARE NEEDED FOR THE FOLLOWING EVENTS
• Vendors and sponsors are needed for the annual Trunk or Treat Festival, a fundraising event to benefit Eckerd Connects Youth Alternatives, from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 26 at Bene’s Career Academy, 698 S. Broad St., Brooksville. The family-friendly event offers face painting, bounce houses, carnival games and vendors. Event sponsorships are $100 and include recognition in all event updates before and after, a four-day spa gift certificate (manicure, pedicure, facial and one-hour massage, valued at $328), and a space at the event. Vendor fees include: $15 or a donation item for raffle, for 1 parking space; $35 for 10 by 10 feet booth. Call (352) 593-2259.
• Vendors are needed for Springstead High School’s flea markets, which will take place from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 27, and Nov. 10 in the parking lot of the school’s theater, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. Vendor spaces are $10 and include two parking spaces. For information, call Greg at (352) 683-3528.
• Artisans and crafters are needed for the annual Canterbury Festival from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 3 at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 2301 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill. No food vendors needed. Outside booth spaces (12 by 12 feet) are $20. For information, call Debbie at (352) 683-2010 or send email to [email protected]
• Crafters are needed for the Ridge Manor Community United Methodist Church's annual Fall Festival from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 3 at the church, 34350 Cortez Blvd., Ridge Manor. Craft vendor spaces are free, although donations are welcome. Vendors must provide their own table and shade awning. Set up must be complete by 9 a.m. The deadline to register is Oct. 29. The festival will include food and family-friendly activities. For information, call Nancy Poe at (352) 608-4022.
• Artists, crafters and food vendors are needed for the Feast of Mother Cabrini, to be held 4 to 10 p.m. Nov. 8; 4 p.m. to midnight Nov. 9; noon to midnight Nov. 10, and noon to 11 p.m. Nov. 11 at St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church, 5030 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. The four-day, family-friendly event will offer food, entertainment, rides, contests, games and other activities. Call (352) 683-9666 or email [email protected]
• Vendors are needed for Powell Middle School’s annual Holiday Craft Fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 10 at the school, 4100 Barclay Road, Brooksville. Vendor spaces are 10 by 10 feet for $25. For information, email [email protected]
• Vendors are needed for Clover Leaf Farm’s Women’s Social Club Bazaar from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 1 at the Heather House, 900 N Broad St., Brooksville. Table rentals are $10 (banquet) and $7.50 (card) for residents; $15 (banquet) and $10 (card) for non-residents. Vendor deadline is Nov. 15. Call (802) 309-5877.
• Vendors/exhibitors and sponsors are needed for Habitat for Humanity's second annual Charity Golf Tournament Jan. 12, 2019 at World Woods Golf Club, 17590 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Brooksville. Registration is at 7 a.m., tee off at 9 a.m. Vendor/exhibitor spaces are $75, must bring your own table, chairs and tent. Sponsorship levels include: hole-in-one (title sponsor), $2,500; albatross (breakfast/lunch/beverage cart sponsor), $1,500; eagle (hole sponsor), $1,000; birdie (entry way sponsor), $500, and habitat fore humanity, $100. For information, visit habitathernando.org or call (352) 754-1159.
Contact Phyllis Day at [email protected]