Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. News
  2. /
  3. Hillsborough

Man wanted in 2018 Tampa murder captured in Georgia

Travis Gray had been on the run for two years when he was pulled over in Duluth, Ga., authorities said.

After two years of running from a murder charge, authorities say it was a broken brake light that did Travis Gray in.

The 29-year-old man was arrested Friday outside of Atlanta on a 2018 Hillsborough County arrest warrant for a murder that took place in North Tampa.

Gray is accusing of fatally shooting Anthony Jefferies, 25, on Aug. 26, 2018 behind an apartment on Lucerne Drive, which is south of E Bearss Avenue and just west of Interstate 275. Hillsborough deputies investigating a 911 call found a wounded Jefferies. He was taken to a hospital and later pronounced dead.

An arrest warrant was later issued for Gray on charges of second-degree murder and felony possession of a firearm.

Then on Friday, officers from the Gwinnett County Police Department in Duluth, Ga. — a town of 30,000 that’s 40 minutes north of Atlanta — said they located Gray.

Days earlier, Gray was pulled over because his brake lights were out. Gray stopped outside of a Kroger parking lot, but when an officer got out of his cruiser to speak to him, authorities say Gray drove off.

After a week-long search, officers said they traced the vehicle that drove away — it had an Alabama tag — to the apartment where Gray was eventually found and arrested on Friday.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office asked that Gray’s phone be submitted for evidence, according to an arrest report. In Georgia he faces a charge of attempting to elude an officer on top of the Hillsborough charges. He will eventually be brought back to Hillsborough County to stand trial.

Gray was the victim of a shooting in Tampa in 2012. An argument inside a Walmart led to Gray, then 21, being shot and seriously wounded outside the store, according to an article in the Tampa Bay Times. He suffered life-threatening injuries, and the man who shot him was later captured in New York.