TAMPA — Trevor Dooley, the former Valrico man who for more than a decade has been embroiled in a criminal case stemming from a shooting on a neighborhood basketball court, may forgo a second trial.
In a routine court hearing Wednesday morning, Assistant State Attorney Marcia Lucas said the state was close to working out a resolution with Dooley’s defense, which would have him change his not guilty plea. But neither the state nor the defense disclosed any of the proposed terms of a possible deal.
Hillsborough Circuit Judge Michael Williams told the attorneys he would want to know details before approving any agreement.
“I don’t want to get in a position where I’m not inclined to do it,” Williams said. “I don’t know what the parameters are. And I’m going to have a lot of questions on that.”
The judge set a new court date for next Thursday.
Dooley, who is now 80 years old, was 69 when he was accused of manslaughter in the Sept. 26, 2010, death of David James.
James, a 41-year-old Air Force veteran, was playing basketball that afternoon with his then-8-year-old daughter on their neighborhood court in Valrico. Dooley lived across the street and noticed a teen skateboarder on the other end of the court. He admonished the teen, saying he was not allowed to skate there, which prompted an argument with James.
Dooley returned to his garage, but emerged minutes later and walked to the edge of the court. As the argument continued, Dooley lifted his shirt, exposing the butt of a gun, according to court records. He turned to walk away, but James turned him around. A physical struggle began, then ended when Dooley shot James in the chest.
Dooley later invoked Florida’s stand your ground self-defense law. But in his first trial in 2012, a jury found him guilty of manslaughter. Judge Ashley Moody, who would later become Florida’s attorney general, sentenced him to eight years in prison. He ultimately served about a year.
But then came an appeal, in which Dooley argued the jury was given erroneous instructions about the justifiable use of force.
He was allowed to go free in 2016 on a $100,000 bond while the appeal was pending. An appeals court later granted him a new trial. But further delays have plagued the case.
It remains a possibility that Dooley will go to trial a second time.
Read inspiring stories about ordinary lives
Subscribe to our free How They Lived newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
One of his attorneys, Michael Snure, was last month appointed as a judge of the 9th Judicial Circuit, which covers much of central Florida in and near Orlando. In court Wednesday, Snure said he promised Dooley he would delay taking the bench if Dooley wants to take it to trial.
“I promised him that, and that’s what’s gonna happen,” Snure told the judge. “But I do think that there’s a fair chance that we’re right on the tip of the spear to work it out.”