Advertisement

Christmas tree causes overnight house fire in Apollo Beach

Nobody was injured by the blaze that sparked just after 11:15 p.m., according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue
Multiple people called 911 after they saw flames on the second story of an Apollo Beach home late Friday, January 20, 2023. Fire crews said the blaze was caused by an LED Christmas tree.
Multiple people called 911 after they saw flames on the second story of an Apollo Beach home late Friday, January 20, 2023. Fire crews said the blaze was caused by an LED Christmas tree. [ Courtesy of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue ]
Published Jan. 21|Updated Jan. 27

Hillsborough County fire officials said an LED Christmas tree caught fire and caused an overnight blaze in a two-story Apollo Beach house late Friday night.

Several people called 911 and reported the fire in the 6400 block of Grenada Island Avenue just after 11:15 p.m., according to a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue news release. The callers told dispatchers flames were visible on the house’s second floor.

Nobody was injured in the Apollo Beach house fire late Friday, January 20, 2023, according to Hillsborough County fire officials.
Nobody was injured in the Apollo Beach house fire late Friday, January 20, 2023, according to Hillsborough County fire officials. [ Courtesy of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue ]

A resident saw the LED Christmas tree catch fire, which then spread to several walls in the upstairs room, according to a fire investigator.

When fire crews arrived on scene, they siphoned hoses through the house’s front door and were able to keep the fire contained to one room, according to the news release. After searching the home, firefighters determined everyone was able to safely evacuate and nobody was injured.

Photos provided by the fire officials show damaged walls and debris strewn across the floor.