Pasco County is undertaking a project to restore the Pasco County World War II Memorial located on the grounds of the Historic Pasco County Courthouse. The memorial is inscribed with the names of Pasco County residents who served in World War II. New granite panels will replace the deteriorating original wood panels on the bandstand/memorial. The list of names to be engraved can be found on the county's website via the following link: pascocountyfl.net/DocumentCenter/View/12517. The county is asking family members and the public to help verify name spellings. For questions or updates to the names, call (727) 834-3292.
The memorial was originally dedicated on Flag Day; June 14, 1954. The re-dedication will be 60 years later: June 14, 2014. A group of private citizens is working to raise funds for the project with matching funds being provided by the county, up to $25,000 and by Dade City, up to $15,000. The public is encouraged to participate in this public/private partnership. Donations can be made by cash (in person only), check (in person or by mail), or credit card (in person or by calling one of the numbers) at the following locations:
East Pasco Government Center, 14236 Sixth St., Suite 201, Dade City. (352) 521-4542; or West Pasco Government Center, 7530 Little Road, Suite 220, New Port Richey. (727) 847-8031.
Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect corrected phone numbers.