Advertisement
  1. Florida Politics

U.S. acknowledges killing 4 Americans in drone strikes

A Navy X-47B drone, left, taxis as it is prepared to be launched off the USS George H.W. Bush for a test flight off Virginia.
Published May 23, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration acknowledged Wednesday it has killed four Americans in overseas counterterrorism operations since 2009, the first time it has publicly taken responsibility for the deaths.

Although the acknowledgement, contained in a letter from Attorney General Eric Holder to Congress, does not say how the four were killed, three are known to have died in CIA drone strikes in Yemen in 2011. They include Anwar al-Awlaki, his 16-year-old son and Samir Khan.

The fourth, Jude Kenan Mohammad, indicted in North Carolina in 2009, was killed in Pakistan, where the CIA has operated a drone campaign against terrorist suspects for nearly a decade. His death was previously unreported.

Holder's letter came the day before President Barack Obama is due to deliver a major speech designed to fulfill a promise in his State of the Union speech in January to make elements of his controversial counterterrorism policies more transparent and accountable to Congress and the American public.

Obama is also under pressure to explain how he intends to make even modest progress on other priorities that were centerpieces of a pledge he made at the beginning of his first term. At the top of that list is closing the Guantanamo Bay prison, where 103 of the 166 detainees still in custody are on a hunger strike. The administration is planning to restart the transfer of the detainees, 86 of whom have been cleared to leave.

In addition to disclosure of the four killings, Holder wrote that Obama has approved classified briefings for Congress on an overall policy document, informally called the "playbook." The document, more than a year in the making, codifies the administration's standards and processes for its unprecedented program of targeted killing and capture of terrorism targets outside of war zones.

Nearly 400 drone strikes, in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia, have been launched by the CIA and U.S. military forces during Obama's presidency. Although the administration has acknowledged the existence of the drone program and outlined its justification under international and domestic law, specific operations are considered classified.

The secrecy surrounding the program — including the criteria for choosing targets — has led to widespread opposition from international law and human rights advocates and, increasingly, from Congress and the public. Although the administration has stressed the precision accuracy of drones, independent groups have charged that thousands of civilians have been unintentionally killed.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., last month threatened to subpoena the administration for Justice Department legal opinions justifying the killing of U.S. citizens overseas without due process or other constitutional protections. After that threat, Leahy said in an interview, the documents were produced for the committee in a classified meeting.

Leahy said Wednesday afternoon that Holder telephoned him to say he would receive a letter with information about the four killings and to tell him about upcoming briefings on the classified playbook.

Although Holder's letter was addressed to Leahy, it was copied to the rest of the Judiciary Committee.

"I think it's a significant effort at openness," Leahy said. He said he also received a call from the White House inviting him to Obama's speech today at the National Defense University.

In September 2011, Obama announced the death of al-Awlaki, a New Mexico-born cleric described as the foreign operations director for Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. Although Obama did not claim U.S. responsibility, the fact that al-Awlaki was killed by a CIA drone was one of the worst-kept secrets in Washington.

According to Holder's letter, al-Awlaki was the only U.S. citizen the administration "has specifically targeted and killed." Khan was not targeted but was at al-Awlaki's side and killed in the same strike.

Two weeks after al-Awlaki's death, his 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman — who had gone to the Yemeni desert in search of his father — was killed in a drone strike meant for someone else. That strike was similarly unacknowledged, although a senior administration official privately characterized it as a "mistake."

The fourth American death, Jude Kenan Mohammad, was previously unreported. According to an information sheet released by the Justice Department, the former North Carolina resident was charged in 2009 with conspiracy "to provide material support to terrorists, including currency, training, transportation and personnel" and "to murder, kidnap, maim and injure persons abroad."

Mohammad had fled the United States for Pakistan in the fall of 2008. According to Pakistan news accounts, the 20-year-old Mohammad, whose father was Pakistani, was detained by authorities when he tried to enter a tribal region near the Afghanistan border, but was later released.

Mohammad's mother, Elena Mohammad, said in a telephone interview she was aware that her son had been killed in a drone strike but said she got the news from people in Pakistan, not U.S. authorities. She said she had no details on when and where her son was killed.

"I dealt with that and I don't have to deal with it anymore because it's already over with," she said. "So whatever transpired I don't want it back in my life anymore. It's gone. There are no questions. I don't have to hear any authorities; the FBI has finished coming to my house. It's over. That's it."

ALSO IN THIS SECTION

  1. Vice President Mike Pence reacts during an immigration and naturalization ceremony in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House grounds, Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) ALEX BRANDON  |  AP
    Katie Waldman, a former University of Florida student senator, was accused of helping discard independent student newspapers with a front-page endorsement of a rival party’s candidate. | Analysis
  2. Richard Swearingen, Florida's Commissioner of the Department of Law Enforcement, testifies before state lawmakers on Monday. Florida Channel
    But law enforcement officials are getting behind a “threat assessment system.”
  3. Rep. Geraldine Thompson, D-Orlando, urges the Florida Board of Education to hold schools accountable for teaching the Holocaust and African-American history, as required by lawmakers in 1994. The board was considering a rule on the matter at its Sept. 20, 2019, meeting in Jacksonville. The Florida Channel
    School districts will have to report how they are providing the instruction required in Florida law.
  4. The Mar-a-Lago Resort in Palm Beach. JOE RAEDLE  |  Getty Images
    It wasn’t immediately clear how much Mar-a-Lago would charge to host the Marine Corps Birthday Ball — or even if it might do so for free.
  5. In this March 24, 2018, file photo, crowds of people participate in the March for Our Lives rally in support of gun control in San Francisco. JOSH EDELSON  |  AP
    ‘Guns are always a volatile topic in the halls of the legislature,’ one Republican said.
  6. Pasco County school superintendent Kurt Browning says Fortify Florida, the new state-sponsored app that allows students to report potential threats, is "disrupting the education day" because the callers are anonymous, many of the tips are vague and there's no opportunity to get more information from tipsters. "I have an obligation to provide kids with a great education," Browning said. "I cannot do it with this tool, because kids are hiding behind Fortify Florida." JEFFREY SOLOCHEK  |
    Vague and anonymous tips often waste law enforcement’s time and disrupt the school day, says Kurt Browning, president of Florida’s superintendents association.
  7. Tonight's LGBTQ Presidential Forum is hosted by Angelica Ross of FX's Pose. Twitter
    A live stream of the event and what to watch for as 10 candidates meet on stage in Iowa.
  8. In this April 11, 2018, file photo, a high school student uses a vaping device near a school campus in Cambridge, Mass.  [AP Photo | Steven Senne] STEVEN SENNE  |  AP
    "The department does not appear to have the authority to do anything.”
  9. Clearwater Mayor George Cretekos listens to a speaker share an opinion about a city matter during a city council meeting at Clearwater City Hall in Clearwater, Fla. on Thursday, April 20, 2017.  On Thursday, the Clearwater City Council rejected the mayor's resolution urging lawmakers to ban assault weapons.  [Times files] TIMES FILES  |  Tampa Bay Times
    However, the city did pass a resolution calling for more modest gun control measures.
  10. Maurice A. Ferré at his Miami home earlier this year. JOSE A. IGLESIAS  |  Miami Herald
    He served as mayor for 12 years and set the stage for Miami to become an international city.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement