PORT RICHEY — A popular stilt home was hit by lightning Saturday night, sparking a blaze that destroyed the property, Pasco fire officials said.
Known as the "American flag stilt home," the building was located over the Gulf of Mexico near the mouth of the Cotee River.
About 7:50 p.m., someone reported the fire, according to Pasco County Fire Rescue officials.
By the time responders arrived, the structure was fully engulfed in flames.
No one was inside when the home caught fire, the agency reported, and no one was injured.
Officials later announced the cause of the fire was lightning. The agency asked boaters to avoid the area, in case debris is floating in the water.
Contact Langston Taylor at 727-893-8659 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow @langstonitaylor.