Gorski family again deals with tragedy after fatal medical episode

Published Aug. 31, 2012

SPRING HILL — Three years ago, Michael and Pamela Gorski endured the loss of one son at the hands of their other.

On Thursday, tragedy struck the family again.

Michael Gorski, 58, was driving on Stallings Avenue when he suffered a medical emergency, lost control of his 1990 Ford and struck a mailbox, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Gorski died at Spring Hill Regional Hospital from the medical condition, troopers said.

In a brief phone interview Friday afternoon, Mrs. Gorski said her husband suffered an apparent heart attack. Recently diagnosed with cancer, Mr. Gorski was undergoing treatment that may have weakened his heart, she said.

"We've had our fair share of grief," Mrs. Gorski said.

In 2010, the couple's son David was sentenced to two years of house arrest for fatally shooting his older brother, Christopher.

According to authorities, an argument between Christopher and his mother broke out on the evening of June 10, 2009, at their home on Corrigan Drive.

Christopher Gorski, whose criminal history included a prior conviction for assaulting his mother, allegedly slapped her during the dispute. After telling his brother to stop, David Gorski pulled a .22-caliber handgun from his waistband and fired four shots into his brother's chest. Christopher Gorksi, 24, died at the hospital a few hours later.

Prosecutors charged David Gorski with manslaughter by use of firearm because the shooting lacked premeditation or "evil intent" required for a murder charge. Had he been convicted on that charge, he could have faced a minimum sentence of 12 years in prison.

But the State Attorney's Office agreed to reduce the charge to manslaughter, which meant Gorski, 22 at the time, would not have to spend time in prison. He went back to live with his parents.

On July 1 of this year, David Gorski was arrested and charged with driving under the influence, records show. He pleaded no contest and was released on Aug. 9. His license was revoked for six months, and he was ordered to complete 100 hours of community service. He also received one year of supervised probation, records show.

His mother said David saved her life that day three years ago.

"I'm thankful the lawyers were able to get him out of (jail) so he could spend some time with his father," she said.

Tony Marrero can be reached at or (352) 848-1431.