1. News

Second man who was sought briefly in New York terror attack also lived in Tampa

TAMPA — Federal agents sought out a second man who once had a Tampa address in connection with the New York terrorist attack they blame on Sayfullo Saipov, who lived here for about two years before moving away earlier this year.

It was not immediately clear why the FBI was searching Wednesday for 32-year-old Mukhammadzoir Kadirov. Just minutes after announcing the search, agents said they no longer were looking for Kadirov.

"We have found him, and I'll leave it at that," FBI Assistant Director in Charge William Sweeney said.

Kadirov once lived in the Wexford Apartments at 7801 Wexford Park Drive, a complex north of the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tampa.

Resident Tareika Giles, 36, a mother of two girls, remembered Kadirov — her former second-floor neighbor — as a quiet family man. He had a wife and two young boys, both toddler-age, Giles said. In 2016, the family moved in and lived there for about a year before moving out early this year.

"They were very quiet, they didn't talk a whole lot," Giles said. "They seemed very nice."

Kadirov seemed to dote on his boys, she said, while the wife didn't seem to speak much English.

Kadirov does not appear to have a criminal record in Florida, according to state records.

There are several similarities between Kadirov and the 29-year-old Saipov, who lived with his wife and young children at The Heritage at Tampa near North 56th Street and Sligh Avenue.

Both are from Uzbekistan. Kadirov may have lived in Fort Myers at the same time Saipov lived there, in a different apartment complex. Kadirov also came to Tampa and lived about three miles east of Saipov's former apartment.

A man who lives in Kadirov's old Tampa apartment declined to comment Wednesday. He left this note hanging on the door: "I don't get paid enough for this leave me alone."

A person who was in touch with both Saipov's and Kadirov's families on Wednesday told the Washington Post that Kadirov is in New Jersey, has retained an attorney and is cooperating with law enforcement officials, but that he was not under arrest as of Wednesday evening.