1. News

Daughter held in slaying of mother, stepdad in Carrollwood

TAMPA — A 21-year-old woman was detained Friday evening and named as a suspect in the fatal shootings of her mother and stepfather the night before, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

Nicole Nachtman was being held by Florida State University police in Tallahassee while authorities executed her arrest warrant and secured a search warrant, said Col. Donna Lusczynski of the Hillsborough Sheriff's Office.

Nachtman faces two counts of first-degree murder with a firearm.

"We want the public to know that they are safe," said Lusczynski, who thanked FSU police and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for their collaboration.

Hillsborough authorities said earlier Friday that Myriam Dienes, 56, and her husband, Robert Dienes, 67, were the victims of a fatal attack in their home at 14110 Fennsbury Drive, off Ehrlich Road near Ben Hill Middle School.

At the time, Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said it was not a random attack and that Dienes and her husband had both suffered unspecified traumatic injuries.

Myriam Dienes managed to flee the house and died on her next-door neighbor's driveway, Gee said. Her husband died inside the house.

Myriam Dienes was a captain in the Naval Reserve who had returned home from service Thursday night, the Sheriff's Office said.

Authorities did not offer a motive or a timetable of the events. They were also mum on where Nachtman was detained in Tallahassee.

Myriam Dienes has another child, according to Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Cristal Bermudez — a grown son who was safe from the violence. She did not say where he lived, or give his name.

The shooting stupefied neighbors in this Carrollwood neighborhood where bushes and palmetto trees ring tidy front yards.

One couple, Chris and Lee Reynolds, said they were watching television when they heard popping outside Thursday night.

"That sounded like a crash," Chris Reynolds said.

"Those were gunshots," Lee Reynolds told her husband. The call to authorities came in at 9:26 p.m.

When they peeked out the front door, a helicopter whirled above, and a dozen sheriff's cruisers lined the cul-de-sac, their red-and-blue lights flashing.

At the time, they did not know it, but two of their neighbors lay dead.

Staff writer Katie Mettler and Times researcher Carolyn Edds contributed to this report. Contact Michael Majchrowicz at (813) 226-3374 or Follow @mjmajchrowicz.