Advertisement
  1. News

Fire rescue: Lit cigarette caused fatal fire that killed woman in Clearwater

A sign with the name "Mrs Nancy" remains on the front stoop of a mobile home at the Bay Breeze Trailer Park in Clearwater where a woman perished on Tuesday. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times]
A sign with the name "Mrs Nancy" remains on the front stoop of a mobile home at the Bay Breeze Trailer Park in Clearwater where a woman perished on Tuesday. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times]
Published Aug. 12, 2015

CLEARWATER — Investigators determined that the fire that ripped through a mobile home Tuesday night, killing a woman inside, was likely caused by a lit cigarette, fire rescue said.

Clearwater Fire Rescue responded to the Bay Breeze Mobile Home Park, 2975 Gulf-to-Bay Blvd., after receiving a call just after 8 p.m. about Lot 215 being engulfed in flames. About 30 firefighters, including some from the Safety Harbor Fire Department, extinguished the flames within 15 minutes.

Inside, they found the woman, who has not been identified pending notification of family. She died at the scene, fire rescue said.

Andy Dominguez, a resident, said he was sleeping when he heard what sounded like an explosion. He opened his door and saw the burning home.

"It surprised us all," he said. "I am still looking at it and I don't believe it."

Holes burned into the walls of the mobile home showed the charred interior, including a blackened headboard in one room and a burnt refrigerator. A shattered swan statue was toppled near the front door.